Meraki MR33 and Asus RT-AC68U - Wired Connectivity Issue

landonstarr
Just browsing

Meraki MR33 and Asus RT-AC68U - Wired Connectivity Issue

Hi all,

I'm using my MR33 on my home network, and I've run into an issue with my Asus RT-AC68U. Prior to using the AP, my Asus router provided the single source of network connectivity, serving four (4) wired connections and two (2) SSID's, a XXXX-2.4G and a XXX-5G.

Upon install of the AP, I used an existing wired connection to connect to the AP and gave it a new SSID for clients to connect to. I disabled the 2.4/5GHz radios on my Asus, but didn't remove the SSID's. So now that the AP is up and running with no issues itself, I've noticed that the other three (3) wired connections from my Asus router are not working. I can see link lights, but they're not passing traffic. 

I'm relatively new to Meraki, so I wasn't sure if this was a bridge mode issue on the AP, or some other setting that I overlooked completely. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
Dylan_YYC
Getting noticed

My guess is a configuration issue on the Asus end. At the same time, why not just replace it with a switch if you've disabled the radios on it?

That's the plan, as soon as the finance gods smile upon me! Thanks for your input!
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is no way an introduced AP will preventing the routing on existing wired connections from working.  It must be an issue with the Asus configuration.

1UpTech
Comes here often

I've encountered this issue on an Asus Wireless router before.

The only option was to enable the wireless radio to get the router to route wired traffic even though we were not using it for wireless. It is definitely an issue with the Asus. Try a firmware upgrade, in our case that didn't help and support was a waste of time.

I'm assuming that disabling the wireless radio disables an internal bridge interface but that's just a guess.

Hey, thanks for your response! So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying to have the Asus' WIFI enabled, as well as the AP's? I'm assuming the router's SSIDs don't need to match the SSIDs that the AP is advertising?

Its funny that you mentioned updating the firmware, though. I actually went through that process last night, but with WIFI already disabled, I wasn't able to verify your findings. I'll be sure to try it later today.

Thanks!

Don't use the same SSID.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'unable to verify your findings'. The only thing I found was that disabling the wireless radios on the Asus stopped LAN traffic from routing and that the firmware update nor support helped.

All I meant was that I had the opportunity last night to test what you're saying, since I'm on the most current firmware, but the WIFI was disabled at the time.

I really do appreciate your help, though!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels