Meraki MR33 AP slow download normal upload?

SOLVED
SkywalkerHogie
Here to help

Meraki MR33 AP slow download normal upload?

I've just installed a new Meraki MR33 Wireless Access Point in my home and left it as almost default configuration.  Connectivity and signal strength to connected devices is fine, but for some reason internet speed tests show incredibly slow download speeds (<10mbps but normal upload speeds 20mbps).  My fibre connection is 100/20 so the internet speed should be ~100mbps.

When I connect to my old wireless router on the other side of the house I get close to 100mbps in download speeds.

Any ideas what could be causing this throttling of download speed?  I can't see any Layer 7 firewall, traffic shaping, or any kind of policy assigned that could be causing this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi

Thanks for the time taken to assist me with this problem ... unfortunately over the weekend I was unable to find another 5ghz wifi adaptor to test with ... but I took a work laptop home today (Monday) and tested the connection to the Access Point and it's working fine!

This means the problem must somehow be with the Wifi adaptor connected to my home PC (Edimax AC1200) ... I will play around with the drivers for this device as I've never had a problem with WiFi speeds before (only with the Meraki).

For all intensive purposes this issue is resolved!

Cheers 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try disabling 2.4Ghz so you are only using 5Ghz.

No change when trying either of the following settings on the SSID:

- Dual band operation (2.4ghz and 5ghz)

- 5ghz band only

- Dual band operation with band steering

I would use 5ghz bag only if you can. 

How does the AP connect to your Internet router? 

If the AP is not running 25.13 I would upgrade to that. 

The MR33 is currently running the latest 25.13 firmware.

I have tried the following configurations to connect to the internet router:

- Directly connected to the internet router via a Cat6 cable attached to a 1gb Ethernet interface.

- Connected to a Cisco Linksys switch (which is connected to the internet router)

- Connected to a Meraki MS120 switch which is connected to the internet router (when the PC is directly cabled to the internet router the download speeds are perfect)

I have moved the AP directly next to the wireless NIC just to rule out any kind of interference but I'm still getting the throttled download speeds (less than 10x what it should be) ... upload is normal however.

Any more ideas?

Thanks for your help thus far!

I checked the local AP page and did a speedtest between my PC and the AP, this is definitely where the problem is:

MR33.PNG

Not sure if it's somehow my wireless adaptor causing the issue ... it works fine when directly connect (via wifi) to the internet router though!

To again confirm this I did a Throughput test from the Meraki Portal:

Mr33-2.PNG

This is much more what I would expect connecting from the AP via the internet to Meraki.com ...

So the issue is definitely on the wifi side .... still not exactly sure how to resolve this though!

Can you confirm your settings under Wireless>Configure>Firewall and Traffic Shaping
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Here is a screen capture of the settings for my only SSID:

1.PNG

Can you try the speed test with a different client and if so do you get the same 10Mbps results? Also just in case try a different channel other than 161 (most likely fine but you've got nothing to lose).
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Hi

Thanks for the time taken to assist me with this problem ... unfortunately over the weekend I was unable to find another 5ghz wifi adaptor to test with ... but I took a work laptop home today (Monday) and tested the connection to the Access Point and it's working fine!

This means the problem must somehow be with the Wifi adaptor connected to my home PC (Edimax AC1200) ... I will play around with the drivers for this device as I've never had a problem with WiFi speeds before (only with the Meraki).

For all intensive purposes this issue is resolved!

Cheers 

Confirmed ... despite being released in 2013, Edimax released a new driver for their WiFi adaptor last year (I was unaware of this) ... I have upgraded to this new driver and WiFi speeds are rapid again via the Meraki!  

Creobox
Comes here often

Hi to everyone!

@SkywalkerHogie i was have the same problem, before to do some´s test with the SSID configurations i has some results speeds in differents configurations of tunnel mode. I will continued searching one best explication to a better understanding.

I have 120Mb download and 10MB Upload.

only work with 5GHz Band

all devices operates in AC mode

mx64

mr33 with adapter 12v 1,5A

dell latitude 3480

LAYER 3.jpgVPN DATA TO A CONCENTRATOR SPLIT TUNEL.jpgVPN DATA TO A CONCENTRATOR.jpg

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels