Meraki MR-42/52 signal direction/pattern

Stevenjw0728
Here to help

Meraki MR-42/52 signal direction/pattern

Am I to assume the standard direction of signal of a MR42 and 52 is standard V signal from the top of the AP?

Untitled.png

Does anyone have any signal issues when you hang them flushed with a wall and not a ceiling? Any tips on bettering the signal quality when wall mounted?

6 Replies 6
Nash
Kind of a big deal

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

There is a down-tilt slightly, but honestly its one of those tough to measure ones in my opinion. So you could probably wall mount it and not notice too much difference, but technically there will be some.

You can also get a wall mount to keep it horizontal if you need

http://shop.acceltex.com/product_info.php?cPath=126_128_252_562&products_id=280

http://shop.acceltex.com/product_info.php?cPath=126_128_252_562&products_id=279
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's pretty much a ball around the AP, we've wasted a lot of time moving AP orientations and unless you have an edge case then simply not putting them in the corner or on top of a fridge, by a double glazed window with metallic coatings etc. should give you a pretty decent signal.

We find that a survey, even with just an AP and phone / laptop depending upon what devices will be more important to cover, is the best option. 

Although I do like them to be square to walls etc. but that is just a bit of OCD 😇

thumbnail.jfif

Thats what mine looks like at home...

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Damn, that's about 3° off being parallel with the coving 😱

Mind you my home AP isn't very tidy, oh and it's in a corner...

20200311_205457.jpg

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@Stevenjw0728 Negative, the pattern is not the "V" shape but tends to be rather spherical in nature and there will be a decent signal even behind the backplate of the AP.  There does tend to be more signal out the front side of the AP, but the Meraki APs do tend to be a bit more spherical than other typical APs, and that's somewhat by design and is also why the recommendations are not super fussy about ceiling vs wall mounting.  I have many customers using wall mounting and working great.  I will always argue that the ideal orientation is going to be horizontal ceiling mounted, but that's in general and there will always be corner cases.  But even vertical wall mounting with best practices being followed can also work great.  Let us know if you had any question on interpreting the azimuth and elevation charts on the data sheets.

Hope that helps!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels