Meraki DHCP not responding.

SOLVED
Anonymous
Not applicable

Meraki DHCP not responding.

We have Meraki MR52's in one building, with several SSIDs.

One SSID is used as a Guest network, with Meraki DHCP issued IP addresses.

Since the past 3 weeks or so, some clients do not get a DHCP address from Meraki, the DHCP server does not respond.

Other SSIDs (using our own DHCP server) do get IP addresses.

On my iPhone, when I try to connect to the Guest SSID, I just get a spinning wheel, and eventually an APIPA address. IOS 15.3.1.

Other devices (such as an older iPad with IOS 12.5.5) do get an IP address from the same SSID instantly.

What's happened? Has Apple released a dodgy update? Or Meraki?

I am on latest MR52 firmware (28.6)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a solution. Meraki support recommended to make our password LESS complex. The password is "passw0rd" which seems quite simple to me. I made it Test1234 which did work OK.

In the end I re-created the settings in a new SSID, and disabled the old SSID. Then it worked. We leave it like this for 3 weeks, until we migrate to a new vendor.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should say, I already created a case with Meraki support, and spent an hour on the phone yesterday with them. They also don't know what is going wrong.

AxL1971
Building a reputation

did you do a packet trace to see if the DHCP handshake occurs

Discover (client)

Offer (server)

Request (Client)

Acknowledge (Server)

We have an issue logged where the MS Switche does not give out IP address from packet trace I can see the client send out the discover but the Meraki switch never responds back with the Offer 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, I didn't know Meraki switches could act as a DHCP server, what model do you have? We have MS225.

Packet trace doesn't show any response from server.

AxL1971
Building a reputation

its the MS410 and MS350 that can act as a DHCP server

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Anonymous Unfortunately you are one model too low 😞  The MS250s and up can run a DHCP server.

Anonymous
Not applicable

There was a solution. Meraki support recommended to make our password LESS complex. The password is "passw0rd" which seems quite simple to me. I made it Test1234 which did work OK.

In the end I re-created the settings in a new SSID, and disabled the old SSID. Then it worked. We leave it like this for 3 weeks, until we migrate to a new vendor.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels