Meraki AP's working as a mesh in a 50k Warehouse

Slider
Getting noticed

Meraki AP's working as a mesh in a 50k Warehouse

I have a warehouse with 50k open floor, can I apply MR74 as mesh as there a lack of ether cables. Two most for gateways and others repeaters. I am adding about 12 MR74's with patch and Omni 

HM
4 REPLIES 4
BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud

@Slider wrote:

I have a warehouse with 50k open floor, can I apply MR74 as mesh as there a lack of ether cables. Two most for gateways and others repeaters. I am adding about 12 MR74's with patch and Omni 

Is it really cost prohibitive in your environment to add Ethernet? Direct wiring is always preferred over mesh. Meshing takes up a LOT of airtime, and significantly reduces your available throughput. 

Highly recommend running Ethernet directly to the APs for best performance and a long term investment!

BHC Resorts IT Department

Thanks for the reply, yes we cannot add ethernet due to cost and understand the consequences with mesh and throughput and connectivity not dedicated versus an ap on LAN. Management wont approve additional cables.

HM
BowlesCR
Here to help

My biggest warning on mesh:

All mesh nodes will use the same channel as the gateway they're connected to. That means that worst-case your entire network will run on 2 channels... or you might get lucky and be able to mix some on 2.4 and some on 5Ghz... Neither is going to be a great experience unless you have very few devices and/or vary low bandwidth demands. This is going to create a massive "hidden transmitter" problem domain.

I second the push for as many cabled nodes as you can manage. 2 is better than 1, but 4 or so is probably a bare minimum for the 12 APs you want to deploy. You really want to make sure that each repeater can talk directly to a gateway.

ralphcorrales
New here

I tried to contact Meraki when a distribution center was first sent and inquired as to whether they could sign on and examine over the occasions and simply affirm they are seeing no issues before it went into generation - all I got was 'on the off chance that you don't have an issue, we don't have anything to check' was not so much the appropriate response I needed...

https://theessayservice.org

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels