Meraki AP Shows no Connectivity Even Thou There is Connectivity

Danut
Getting noticed

Meraki AP Shows no Connectivity Even Thou There is Connectivity

Hello everyone,

I have noticed a problem, and I am not sure how to explain it very well, but maybe someone else know this and may help me or at least explain me what is happening.
If I go to the Wireless -> Access Points Dashboard, I see on the connectivity row some red lines (no connectivity time). Thou, if I check devices that are connected to that specific AP, I see that they are associated for days, or even weeks. You may say that those devices are connected to the AP, but the AP can't get to the internet and that is a fair point of view, but I have a device which constantly pings an IP outside the local network and graphs the results. The result shows no interruptions while the Meraki dashboards shows 2 minutes of no connectivity.

Does someone else saw this kind of issue or know why is happening?

Thank you!

P.S.: I have attached 2 images representing the Meraki status and my network result status to understand better the situation. 

My network resultsMy network resultsMeraki dashboard statusMeraki dashboard status 

6 REPLIES 6
MacuserJim
A model citizen

Have you looked at the event logs for the MR? I would guess there is an external factor that is causing the MR to stop checking into the Meraki cloud, but still have access to the internet. Where you are still able to ping an IP address, I wonder if there is maybe a DNS issue somewhere. That's just an idea, there are likely a lot of things that could be the cause. Either way I would look at the event logs for that time and see what they say and go from there.

Thank you for your answer

I looked through all the logs and everything looks normal. I have checked the logs from the Meraki dashboard for each AP, and I also looked through the logs sent to the logging server but everything looks as usual. Will the SNMP monitoring give more detailed information about what is happening?

Thank you

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you hold your mouse over the red region - what does it give as the reason for the outage?

It's possible your clients roamed to another AP and then roamed back again.

If I do that, it just says no connectivity and the time interval which is usually 1 minute. I have a complete isolate AP, with no neighbours so I don't think the clients roam.

Thankfully, with the community help I solved the roaming problem here:
https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Meraki-MR42-client-jumps-to-distant-AP/m-p/32253#M5106
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

If you call support, ask them to tell you what the uptime is for that specific access point. That will give you a clue as to if it rebooted or not.

Also make a wish for an uptime column in the dashboard.  Support has it on their side (i've seen it in a screenshot) but for some unknown reason that my mind cannot possibly fathom, they won't enable it for regular folk.

Seeing uptime is like...essential in my opinion.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks for your response

I made a wish for that column in the dashboard and I'll wait for their response. Also I have enabled SNMP for monitoring hoping I'll find there an OID for system uptime, but I just found these:

SNMPv2-MIB::sysORUpTime.1 = Timeticks: (0) 0:00:00.00
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORUpTime.2 = Timeticks: (0) 0:00:00.00
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORUpTime.3 = Timeticks: (2) 0:00:00.02
SNMPv2-MIB::sysORUpTime.4 = Timeticks: (2) 0:00:00.02

These metrics are not helpful at all. Also I think I found a bug on SNMPv3, where it says "Decryption error" even thou I place every password correct in the snmpwalk.

And yes, the system uptime is an essential metric for every equipment, especially network equipment.

Thanks

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels