Maximum Clients per AP MR18

lollomil98
Just browsing

Maximum Clients per AP MR18

Hi Guys,

I've a two floor building with 3 MR18 one the first floor and 3 on the second

Sometimes especially on the second floor there are issues with SKype4Business with vioce and video.

All the clients are in 5Ghz in the signal strength is always above 30dB. I made a change increasing the minimum data rates to 12Mb to delete 802.11b

The only real issue that I see is that under some APs there are always 10 to 17/18 clients connected and I assume that if most of them made a call in the same time there would be some issues for these tye of APs

How many clients are recommended under a single MR18? Could be better to change MR18 to MR33 only for some Aps where tehre are more clients

Thank you very much 🙂

Lorenzo

4 REPLIES 4
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @lollomil98 

@This conversation has been discussed in this thread

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/How-many-clients-can-a-MR33-handle/td-p/41524

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MR33 will perform better than an MR18.

You are using the network for VoIP.  You need more APs and coverage than a network designed for data.  Make sure you are bridging the SSID to a VLAN to make roaming work.  Make sure you are using the latest WiFi drivers on your machines - especially if it is Intel WiFi (Intel really only got their WiFi drivers going well this year).

Also, are you using a cloud service for Skype?  Are you sure it is your WiFi and not your Internet?

Does the Meraki Dashboard report that the utilisation is low for each AP?  If some are high you are going to need to add another AP.

Hi Philip,

- yes the SSID is in bridge mode

- I'll check with the customer all the WIFI drivers

- I'm quite sure because with ethernet nobody has problem, only when connecetd to WiFi especially on the first floor

- For now the utilization is low/very low but I have to check when there is the issue

Thank you very much

Lorenzo

Hi guys,

I have some news. 

Basically the issue is that some client (we tested one) connected in 5Ghz with 50Db power (Very high) were roaming every 30s from one AP to another. 

I tried to disable CLient balancing - no success

I disabled 5Ghz on all AP and the client stopped this strange beahviour

The network adapter driver are updated

Is there something we can test to overcome to this issue and enable 5Ghz frequency ?

Thank you,

Lorenzo

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels