Manage or remove exceptions for template-bound networks

HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

Manage or remove exceptions for template-bound networks

I have a wireless network bound to a template.  The template includes access control settings for splash page, association requirements, and so on.

Even though the network is bound to the template, I get a limited set of access control options under the network where an admin can change the splash page (and a few other items).  I believe this sets an exception to the template.

A couple of questions:

- how can I find out which networks contain these types of exceptions?  When I view the access control page on networks where I know we haven't set any exceptions, the view is identical with items selected.

- how can I remove the exception and have the network use the template settings instead?

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Wow, I didn't even know you could create an exception.

What I have done in the past is (in the template) configure SSID availability to use tags (so the SSIDs are only active on access points with certain tags).  This lets you configure up all the different combinations of WiFi configuration you might need in a single template.  Then just tag the access points in each network (which is bound to a template) with a tag, and voila, each gets the correct WiFi configuration that is centrally controlled.

HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

I should have been more clear.  I know how I want the networks configured using templates, tags, and so on.  I'm trying to clean up behind someone else.

This may require some support 'magic' to get corrected.  I thought I would see if there were any other solutions before going there.

The API docs for PUT /networks/[networkId]/ssids/[number] contain an obscure note about the splashPage parameter being 'not supported for template children', but nothing similar on the other parameters that should be controlled by a template.

We'll see if Dave has anything to add 🙂

HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

In case anyone else is interested, here's something I noticed this morning while tinkering with a smaller network.

When I use a 'Wireless' configuration template rather than a 'Combined' configuration template, the behavior is different.  When you view the list of networks bound to a configuration template, there's a 'Local overrides' column and a button 'Revert to template settings'.  With a Combined configuration template, I don't get that column or button.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels