MX18 - is yellow brown in the portal with a VLAN warning

Bkite38
Conversationalist

MX18 - is yellow brown in the portal with a VLAN warning

I am not using any VLAN Tagging, so there is only VLAN1 the default. Yet the MX18 is showing this warning.

This device is using a DHCP IP address from VLAN 0 instead of using configured VLAN 1.

DHCP is being run by my server. I have tried setting a static on the AP, but that didn't resolve the issue. It is back in DHCP mode and passing traffic, but the warning stays and is annoying.

6 REPLIES 6
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

VLAN 0 (no such VLAN ID) should indicate "untagged" and typically generates that type of DHCP warning in Dashboard.  So just out of curiosity, try this, click into that AP's page, click on the pencil next to LAN IP, and for the VLAN box, leave it blank, don't even put a "1" in there, just leave it blank and click save.  Wait a few minutes and refresh the page, see if that does it.  Should not have to reboot the AP, but try that too if it's not automatic.

To be sure, I just reproduced this exact issue in my home lab in just a few minutes by placing a VLAN 1 tag on an AP, got the warning, then blanked out the VLAN field, and warning goes away.

That solved my problem, thank you!!!

Any ideas why specifying a VLAN that matches the native VLAN would cause this issue?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the switchport is set as an access port then there is no native VLAN from the device point of view.  From the switch port any traffic going into the switch will be put into the access VLAN, regardless of any VLAN tags.  If you have a trunk port with a native VLAN then you need the VLAN to be set to that in the AP config.

Bkite38
Conversationalist

That worked perfectly. Thank you for helping me get rid of this annoyance.

Great to hear and welcome to the Meraki Community!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels