MS120-24P - POE fails causing AP's to disconnect until Switch is power cycled

Solved
Harley4884
Here to help

MS120-24P - POE fails causing AP's to disconnect until Switch is power cycled

This Switch is causing the users to be disconnected. Unfortunately we have been unable to troubleshoot the issue while it is occurring because  the users power cycle the switch to restore service.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Is it possible to change the log configuration to record POE and AP issues?

1 Accepted Solution

After posting yesterday the we lost access to the switch through the dashboard. I engaged Meraki per their request and they decided to replace the switch. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Ap issues are in the ap log.

Are you maybe hitting the switch max PoE budget?

Harley4884
Here to help

Anytime I have checked the POE budget is has been similar to what is is now.
Is there a way to check the historical POE budget used?

The logs haven't shown and AP disconnects.

PoE usage
Consumption
51.8 W / 370 W
Budgeted
176 W / 370 W

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Org> sum report. And select switch.

But looking at the budget that should not be a problem.

Did you create a meraki case. They can see maybe additional  logging. 

Todays budget hit just over 60 watts but was unable to find historical data.

Yes I did open a case with Meraki but they said they were unable to find any information since the switch was rebooted.

Thanks 

@Harley4884 : I knew you will not get the historical data once rebooted, this is same with all Cisco devices as well.

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

Hi Inderdeep,

I was looking for the POE budget data since this switch was last rebooted to see if there were time when it got close to the budget.

Thanks 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How do you know the AP is powering down?

When the issue is happening, do the LEDs turn off on the AP?

H0LDSH1FT
Comes here often

I have a similar issue that started yesterday and is ongoing. I have two switches in two different buildings on the same property. Each one has two or three axis cameras being powered in addition to 8 access points on one and 11 on the other.

The cameras have been fine since I installed them last week. The access points go offline for no apparent reason even though the power

budget is fine and according to the switch, the link and power is fine. Cable test is perfect on every port and I can ping every access point. Rebooting each switch usually brings all the access points back up for maybe a couple of hours and they they go down again.

In my case, there is no apparent power or connectivity loss. I'm not sure if this helps at all since it sounds like my situation is a bit different? The switches are both MS120-24P and the access points are all MR33's.

After posting yesterday the we lost access to the switch through the dashboard. I engaged Meraki per their request and they decided to replace the switch. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels