MR84 with Omnis mounted to an outdoor wall - problem?

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

MR84 with Omnis mounted to an outdoor wall - problem?

I realized the best antenna would probably be a patch, but would it negatively affect the reception or the AP's ability to project out in front of it if it were mounted to a wall with 2 sets of omni's on it? Its a wood structure. Im just seeing lower radio power (17db) on 5ghz than Id expect given the distance of clients. 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
3 REPLIES 3
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Mounting any outdoor AP on a wall, with omni (rubber duckies) is perfectly fine, and I would imagine the most often deployed solution.

Not sure what you mean by 'seeing lower radio power'.  The AP doesn't change his TX power based off clients. AutoRF does it based off other nearby APs, and your RF Profile threshold configs.  You could always set it manually, which is what I recommend in almost all scenarios.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What's on the other side of the wall?

Things like water absorb signal.  So if there was a water pipe in the wall you might have an issue.

A kitchen with a stainless steel splashback would also be bad.

These are long shots though.

Its just wood. I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for all your help as always. 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels