MR74 and MA-ANT-23 Compatibility

SOLVED
IanH
Getting noticed

MR74 and MA-ANT-23 Compatibility

Hi All,

Looking for an official answer on the MR74 and the MA-ANT-23 antenna.  

Looking at the current on line Datasheet, this is not mentioned:

MERAKI MR74 Datasheet

However I've found an old one (attached), that does confirm that is is compatible (from 2017):

MR74 Ordering Guide.JPG

It's a direct request from the customer, perhaps a solution used before, however double checking these things is good practice of course.

The MR74 has 4x N-Type Connectors where as the MA-ANT-23 only has two cable N-Type Out connectors for the AP.

Can anyone advise please?

It may be the case the the MA-ANT-23 may work, however not advise due to reasons X, Y and Z.

Thanks

Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
IanH
Getting noticed

I've had this official detail back from the Cisco directly:

"The MR74 is not compatible with the MA-ANT-23.

This is the correct documentation for the MR74, https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_MR74.pdf.

The compatible and supported antennas are MA-ANT-20, MA-ANT-27 and MA-ANT-25 which can be seeing under page 6 on the link above.

I'll use your experience and that of Cisco advise to go back to my customer with...

Should any issues occur, concerned Cisco will not support the solution in place with a MA-ANT-23 in place.

Many thanks, this has been useful.

Cheers

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I am pretty certain it will work.  You may want an ANT-21 to pair with it though.  The MR74 has two pairs of antenna connections, one for 2.4 and on for 5GHz.  Here is from an MR74 screen:

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 8.13.09 AM.png

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
IanH
Getting noticed

Thanks, is that a Screen Shot from a live MR74 Online Configuration Portal?  

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

@IanH wrote:

Thanks, is that a Screen Shot from a live MR74 Online Configuration Portal?  

It is.  I just installed my first ones yesterday and realized I needed 2x ANT-27 for both bands.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
IanH
Getting noticed

Thanks for that, this helps, i have an open case with Cisco on this too, so i'll post that answer from them once they have confirmed.  

Cheers

IanH
Getting noticed

I've had this official detail back from the Cisco directly:

"The MR74 is not compatible with the MA-ANT-23.

This is the correct documentation for the MR74, https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_MR74.pdf.

The compatible and supported antennas are MA-ANT-20, MA-ANT-27 and MA-ANT-25 which can be seeing under page 6 on the link above.

I'll use your experience and that of Cisco advise to go back to my customer with...

Should any issues occur, concerned Cisco will not support the solution in place with a MA-ANT-23 in place.

Many thanks, this has been useful.

Cheers

MA-ANT-21 in operation on the bottom R connectors on 5 MR74s all over my property which seem to be doing ok. Why would you need to use the dual band variant on a single band radio? 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels