MR74 Range

SOLVED
DannyTaylor
Conversationalist

MR74 Range

The website below says that the omnidirectional antennas have a range of 100 meters. Is this in reference to a radius or diameter? Has anyone tested this in a open area outdoors to see what is realistic?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Access_point_range_and_signal_str...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've done testing at home with a few devices with different capabilities (1x1 smartphone, 2x2 tablet, 3x3 laptop) with the (slightly older) MR72, with both omni and patch antennas.  With omnis, the smartphone lost its connectivity first (in my case maybe around 75 meters), then the tablet as I approached the 100 meter mark, and lastly the laptop when I was probably over 125 meters away and connectivity got sporadic.  So yes, I could get 100 meters and still have a usable experience (except with the smartphone) and obviously at lower data rates.  It's definitely a "your mileage may vary" type of thing as that support doc describes.  If you'll have several users and they'll be out there at 100+ meters, consider the ANT-25.  It'll depend a lot on your use case, coverage pattern, client devices and client density, etc.  Site survey is best bet, as @PhilipDAth mentioned 30 meter spacing, that may work well, and you'll know for sure with a site survey, even if something basic like using the local status page for some live readings on multiple types of devices.  I've seen some deployments ranging even over 100m spacing also work well with omnis and without coverage holes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would say the data rate at that range would be very low.  I typically allow for a radius of up to 30m.

I've done testing at home with a few devices with different capabilities (1x1 smartphone, 2x2 tablet, 3x3 laptop) with the (slightly older) MR72, with both omni and patch antennas.  With omnis, the smartphone lost its connectivity first (in my case maybe around 75 meters), then the tablet as I approached the 100 meter mark, and lastly the laptop when I was probably over 125 meters away and connectivity got sporadic.  So yes, I could get 100 meters and still have a usable experience (except with the smartphone) and obviously at lower data rates.  It's definitely a "your mileage may vary" type of thing as that support doc describes.  If you'll have several users and they'll be out there at 100+ meters, consider the ANT-25.  It'll depend a lot on your use case, coverage pattern, client devices and client density, etc.  Site survey is best bet, as @PhilipDAth mentioned 30 meter spacing, that may work well, and you'll know for sure with a site survey, even if something basic like using the local status page for some live readings on multiple types of devices.  I've seen some deployments ranging even over 100m spacing also work well with omnis and without coverage holes.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Don't forget to think about coverage density too - i.e. how many clients are you trying to serve concurrently and with what required level of data consumption?   With greater usage the need for higher connection rates increases, so that you serve the transmitting client quicker and release airtime for other nearby clients.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels