MR74 Antennas Range

SOLVED
ptsakalos
Here to help

MR74 Antennas Range

Hello team and wish you a good year!

Please for your advice. We have 3 different topologies. The first will be covered by 4 MR74s, the second with 4 MR 74s as well and the third will be covered by 2 MR74s.

See below the images please:

1) One VDSL line will be given on the right down corner to the MR74 and we want to give to the rest of them via the 1st MR (bridge mode wirelessly to the rest of them) as well as give internet access to users in the entire square. We have put in the list 2 x MA-ANT-20 for each Access Point. 50 meters distance one another AP.

ptsakalos_2-1610527820781.png

2) One VDSL line will be given on the right down corner to the MR74 and we want to give to the rest of the Access Points  via the 1st MR (bridge mode wirelessly to the rest of them) as well as give internet access to users in the entire square. We have put in the list 2 x MA-ANT-20 for each Access Point. 50 meters distance one another AP.

ptsakalos_3-1610527918487.png

3) 1 VDSL line on the bottom will be given to the first MR and give the second MR wirelessly (bridge), as well as give internet to the spectators and if possible, beyond to the other fields. Both MR74s will have 2 x MA-ANT-20 for each Access Point. 40 meters distance one another AP.

Football Field.PNG

My questions are based on the distance i gave you, are the 2 x MA-ANT-20 for each Access Point sufficient on providing signal one to another as well give internet to the rest of them? Can the main MR where the VDSL line is given from the provider give signal to the rest of the APs? Main AP----->2nd AP----->3rd AP etc. Or do we need sector antennas?

Especially for the football field on the third topology, will it be better to use 1 x MA-ANT-20 to the upper Access Point to receive the signal from the main AP (below AP where the provider will be attached) and 1 x Sector Antenna to give to the upper fields?

From the design perspective, if you have any better suggestions please advise.

If you need any clarifications please inform me.

Thank you very much in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jmoake
Getting noticed

In the first two locations, using ANT20 I would say you are wasting a good deal of your signal strength by letting half of it go outside your intended coverage area.  if you move the MR74s diagonally inwards instead of leaving them on the edge of your coverage area, they will have a closer distance to the root AP, therefore better signal strength and possibly less interference from the vegetation because there will be less of it in the way.  I am using MR74, 84, and 86 APs getting much further distances in clear space, and surprisingly good distance in my industrial setting with buildings and framing in the way.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

At first glance it looks like it should work (I.e. purely from the capability of the access points, antennas and the distances involved). My main concern would the obstructions to the RF signals, all the trees and other vegetation, as well as structures that are in the sites - they will all impact the wireless mesh and the connection to the client devices.

You should also remember that when using wireless mesh, for every hop from the gateay (I.e the wired access point) you will essentially be halving the uplink speed. With this in mind you may want to see if you can get more access points hardwired.

I would strongly recommend two things: find a local Meraki partner who can help you with site surveys to ensure you get the performance and coverage you are hoping for, and get some Meraki kit as a trial to see how it performs in real life. As I said, it looks like it should be fine, but you really won’t know until you get kit on the ground and test it.

Hello Bruce and thanks for the prompt response!

This is not my installation otherwise i would test them first. We are going to be selling these Meraki to the partner and at this point he will NOT do the installation. One last question, are the MA-ANT-20 antennas capable of 100 meters signal strength?

Thanks again man!

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

If you’re talking 100m of clear space (I.e. nothing in the Fresnel Zone) then you will most likely get a Mesh connection using the MR74 and MA-ANT-20. How good the actual signal strength is, and so what speed you get will be very dependent on the obstructions. 

If you’re talking about a client being able to connect to a MR74 with MA-ANT-20 will mostly depend on the client. Clients generally have a lower TX power than the access point, and will vary that TX power depending on power state (e.g. battery charge, external power, screen being locked). Again, theoretically, you should be able to connect a client at 100m, but it’s going to depend on the environment and the client, and it’s unlikely you’ll get close to the maximum throughput the MR74 is capable of.

jmoake
Getting noticed

In the first two locations, using ANT20 I would say you are wasting a good deal of your signal strength by letting half of it go outside your intended coverage area.  if you move the MR74s diagonally inwards instead of leaving them on the edge of your coverage area, they will have a closer distance to the root AP, therefore better signal strength and possibly less interference from the vegetation because there will be less of it in the way.  I am using MR74, 84, and 86 APs getting much further distances in clear space, and surprisingly good distance in my industrial setting with buildings and framing in the way.  

Good morning,

Thank you all for your answers!

Have a nice day!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels