MR74 Antenna Range - Lower Range

seabreeze
Comes here often

MR74 Antenna Range - Lower Range

I have a Mr74 with default antennas MA-ANT-27 and 21. I read that the range in a clear line of sight can reach 100 meters. Is there any way I can lower that range myself?

5 Replies 5
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Personally I feel the best approac is to increase the minimum connection speed required, such as to 12Mb/s.

This means devices still get a nice strong reliable signal, they just have to be close enough to get the minimum speed.

So it depends a bit on what you want to do exactly...

Lowering the transmit power is basically turning the volume knob on your AP. So you're scaling everything down.

Like @jdsilva mentioned. Changing RX-SOP is changing the minimal signal level at which a packet needs to be to be interpreted by the APs. Anything below a certain value is ignored. You're not changing the physical settings of the transmit power, you're just changing software parameters. IT's primarily made for high-density deployments and has to be used with caution.

See also this video for more in-detail info:

https://blogs.cisco.com/wireless/white-paper-rx-sop-101

I'm giving it extra points because it has Meraki gnomes and @merakisimon in the background :D.

The minimum connection speed thing @PhilipDAth talks about, increases the efficiency of the radio use. I keeps older clients that are using older slow protocols off the network so they don't "waste" radio time. At the same time it tells clients who are too far away from the AP to communicate using the faster more efficient data rates, to stay away, again avoiding wasting radio time. You aren't changing anything physically here either.

All features could be relevant in your case.

Thanks for all the replies. my objective is to keep the signal from reaching an area beyond where its truly needed (where clients will be).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels