MR56 5-hi and 5-lo

NetEngJH
Here to help

MR56 5-hi and 5-lo

I have recently purchased some MR56 APs and get this message when saving an RF Profile. Why am I now being forced to select a UNII-1 or UNII-2 "5-lo" channel?

There were errors in saving this configuration:

• One or more errors occurred. No changes have been saved.
  • Five ghz valid auto channels Please select a 5-lo channel

I suspect it is something to do with this message I get as well now under Channel Assignment:

Dual 5 GHz Mode
You have APs that can broadcast 5GHz with two different radios. These radios are indicated by 5-lo and 5-hi above. If you want to broadcast on both radios, select at least one channel for each radio.

Has anyone else experience this so far or know more about it?

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi, Can you share the configuration? I have the same APs model and I have no problems.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Make_IT_Simple
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I believe this is a known issue with Meraki, and the only workaround is to create a new profile. 

NetEngJH
Here to help

With my other networks that don't have MR56 APs, I don't get the Hi and Lo part of this screen.  What other config would be of interest?

2022-03-18_17-06-30.png

Can you try this config?

alemabrahao_0-1647623601747.png

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Make_IT_Simple
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

The HI and LO will only be available on networks that have APs such as MR56 & MR57. if you have older APs but no MR56 or MR57, then you won't see the HI and LO. Create a new profile and check if you are able to make the changes.

NetEngJH
Here to help

I also get UNII-4 channels on networks that have MR56 APs as well, and don't on those without.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@NetEngJH same here in the UK both lo and hi and the UNI4 channels only where MR56s exist.

Make_IT_Simple
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

MR56 APs are compatible with UNII-4 channels.  APs located in the US can use those channels but UK can see the channel but should be able to select them.

Make_IT_Simple
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

If you have networks that have older AP such as MR52, those channels won't even be visible. 

NetEngJH
Here to help

The only workaround I have found for this is to move the MR56 APs to a different network.  Then change the channel assignments to remove the "5-lo" channels.  Then move the APs back.  Quite what the impact is on doing this is unclear, if any on the functioning of the APs as clearly there is some config that requires the "5-lo" channels that I will no longer be getting?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels