MR55 went End of Sale in late August

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MR55 went End of Sale in late August

Possibly the shortest lifetime of a Meraki product or does someone know better... 🤔

cmr_0-1601488228014.png

10 REPLIES 10
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That does seem pretty quick

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

What about MR45?  I thought I read somewhere MR45 and MR55 both shared a "troubled" chip set or internal firmware of some sort?

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BrandonS MR45 is still happily on sale, perhaps there is a warehouse of stock to shift...

To be fair I have an MR55 and it works fine unless you have Intel WiFi5 chipsets with power saving enabled. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>To be fair I have an MR55 and it works fine unless you have Intel WiFi5 chipsets with power saving enabled

That affects all of the WiFi6 APs that issue.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth I haven't seen it yet on an MR56 but the laptop that was most affected now has an AX200 card in it so that's fine.  I'll double check with a remaining one to that was quite bad with the MR55.  Perhaps it was the update from 27.4 to 27.5 that helped?

Roska
A model citizen

Prestandard did not fly far. Waiting for MR45 to be terminated too.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@BrandonS wrote:

What about MR45?  I thought I read somewhere MR45 and MR55 both shared a "troubled" chip set or internal firmware of some sort?

I'm going to get the direction wrong, so fact check me, but the MR45/55 were pre standard and didn't support either up- or down-stream MU-MIMO which is a hardware limitation. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva uploading doesn't meet the WiFi6 standard, download is fine, hence not being certified.

JohnD
Getting noticed

the 45/55 used the “Hawkeye V1” chip from Qualcomm, also known as IPQ8078/8074. 

These were followed by the second version of these chips, which were rebranded as Qualcomm Networking Pro. The official advertised difference is mainly that the second version does UL-OFDMA and UL-MU-MIMO. 

With that said, other vendors have struggled with enabling many WiFi 5 features: 160MHz, DL-MU-MIMO, AP to client transmit beamforming (the receive direction works), and more. That leads me to suspect there might be more that is immature or problematic about these chips and it’s not just a matter of only supporting DL-OFDMA. 

What chipset does the MR57 use?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels