Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MR55 went End of Sale in late August

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MR55 went End of Sale in late August

Possibly the shortest lifetime of a Meraki product or does someone know better... 🤔

cmr_0-1601488228014.png

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Head in the Cloud

Re: MR55 went End of Sale in late August

That does seem pretty quick

Darren O'Connor | uccert.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Highlighted
Head in the Cloud

What about MR45?  I thought I read somewhere MR45 and MR55 both shared a "troubled" chip set or internal firmware of some sort?

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BrandonS MR45 is still happily on sale, perhaps there is a warehouse of stock to shift...

To be fair I have an MR55 and it works fine unless you have Intel WiFi5 chipsets with power saving enabled. 

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

@BrandonS wrote:

What about MR45?  I thought I read somewhere MR45 and MR55 both shared a "troubled" chip set or internal firmware of some sort?

I'm going to get the direction wrong, so fact check me, but the MR45/55 were pre standard and didn't support either up- or down-stream MU-MIMO which is a hardware limitation. 

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@jdsilva uploading doesn't meet the WiFi6 standard, download is fine, hence not being certified.

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal

>To be fair I have an MR55 and it works fine unless you have Intel WiFi5 chipsets with power saving enabled

That affects all of the WiFi6 APs that issue.

Highlighted
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth I haven't seen it yet on an MR56 but the laptop that was most affected now has an AX200 card in it so that's fine.  I'll double check with a remaining one to that was quite bad with the MR55.  Perhaps it was the update from 27.4 to 27.5 that helped?

Highlighted
A model citizen

Prestandard did not fly far. Waiting for MR45 to be terminated too.

Highlighted
Getting noticed

the 45/55 used the “Hawkeye V1” chip from Qualcomm, also known as IPQ8078/8074. 

These were followed by the second version of these chips, which were rebranded as Qualcomm Networking Pro. The official advertised difference is mainly that the second version does UL-OFDMA and UL-MU-MIMO. 

With that said, other vendors have struggled with enabling many WiFi 5 features: 160MHz, DL-MU-MIMO, AP to client transmit beamforming (the receive direction works), and more. That leads me to suspect there might be more that is immature or problematic about these chips and it’s not just a matter of only supporting DL-OFDMA. 

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.