MR55 low throughput

AdamB1
Here to help

MR55 low throughput

Hi,

I get 60–80 Mbit/s when connected via Wi-Fi.

My computer is the only client connected to the AP.

However, when I plug in the ethernet cable directly into my computer I get around 800 Mbit/s.

Does the orange light (see photo) have anything to do with it, or is it something else? (The green light is flashing, the orange light is solid).

Best regards,

Adamthumbnail_IMG_6667.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the AP getting enough power? Is it operating in Low Power mode? Think even then you should be getting higher speeds.  Is the AP connected at a gig?

Are you using 2.5 or 5.0ghz spectrum? Have you tweaked those settings by a on the SSID?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

The AP is connected to a PoE+ switch with a 1m cable.

The AP's power is around 12W.

The AP is connected with a gigabit cable.

The AP is using both. My computer was connected on 5 GHz during the Wi-Fi test.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you checked the Traffic Shaping rules to make sure you haven’t inadvertently rate limited there?

When you test via a wired connection were you on the same vlan as your SSID?

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If its just 1 AP. 

Go to rf profiles and edit settings there.

And put on 80Mhz channel and 5ghz only in the rf profile 

Depending on you client f.e. it has 1x1 wifi 80Mbps is not to bad on 20Mhz

AdamB1
Here to help

Actually it’s two, and both have the same issue. 

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For two ap's 80mhz is also fine

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@AdamB1 what chipset is your wireless client using? There are plenty of problems people report with some of the wireless chipsets (often Intel) on the WiFi 6 and .11ax access points. A lot of the problems are solved by disabling the power saving functions on the client wireless, including setting MIMO power save mode to ‘No SMPS’. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@AdamB1 I tested my MR55 and MR56 performance last week (results in MR56 thread on here) using iPerf.  With 80MHz on the MR56 I achieved a sustained throughput of about 500Mb/s and with 40MHz on the MR55 it was about 300Mb/s.  This was all running 28.1 firmware.

JohnD
Getting noticed

FWIW as someone who’s done a lot of open source work relating to these chipsets, the MR55’s (Hawkeye v1) SoC, in addition to being Draft wifi 6, also had a number of known chipset bugs resulting in a bunch of wifi 5 class features being turned off too (in particular, most forms of beamforming are disabled, which also means things like MU-MIMO effectively don’t work well or at all).

So unfortunately in my experience, you will see a performance delta, probably on the order of 20% in the real world, between the MR55 and MR56 simply because of Hawkeye V2 SoC in the MR56 being better and not needing these mitigations.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try changing to 5.0ghz and amend the minimum bitrate 

B908982F-EDBD-416D-9BD0-DBB9B9351520.png

Already tried that, didn't help though.

EDIT: And the channel utilization look good. Skärmavbild 2021-06-04 kl. 10.55.35.png

Skärmavbild 2021-06-04 kl. 10.58.03.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels