MR55 connected to MX65 trunk not appearing to work

SOLVED
IanTerry
Getting noticed

MR55 connected to MX65 trunk not appearing to work

Hi all,

New to Meraki and have recently purchased MX65 and MR55. MX65 working fine as other services connected directly/indirectly are working fine.

Configured Port 11 (PoE+) to be a trunk using Native VLAN 1 and VLAN 347

DHCP configured for VLAN 347

Configured MR55 to have VLAN 347 with the associated SSID

Access point gets an IP address from VLAN 1

SSID is broadcast.

Connect iPhone to the SSID but no IP address and not functioning

DHCP service not allocated anything into the subnet associated with 347

This is just a test before rollout, so I recognise VLAN 1 is not a good idea, the issue seems to be trunking doesn't seem to work between MX/MR.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Will be trying Meraki in the first instance, then factory reset probably

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you set a port as access VLAN 347 on the MX and plug in a device, does it get an IP from the the MX DHCP pool?

IanTerry
Getting noticed

I tried that originally and yes that worked fine. I even tried connecting a Catalyst LAN switch as a trunk to the MX and that worked when a device was plugged in.

The MR doesn't seem to want to allow VLAN trunking and I don't understand. I will suggest its me but right now I am not sure where. VLAN tagging is 347, all APs is 347, DHCP for 347 is working.

The only other thought I had, could it be the MX ruleset - it is essentially configured to trunk the vlan with native vlan 1 and maybe a firewall rule or setting I haven' t applied or disabled.

IanTerry
Getting noticed

Now even stranger -

MX65  <--- Trunk ----> Catalyst <--- Trunk ---> MR55  Native Vlan 1, VLAN 347 this works!

Remove the Catalyst, use same port on MX65 - doesn't work!!

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you set a VLAN tag on the AP itself, we have (ahem) about 9 SSIDs all with their own VLANs and we trunk to the APs with one VLAN set as native and all others allowed.  The native VLAN isn't 1, but all our APs are connected to Cisco or Meraki switches, not MXs, I do think though that you are supposed to be able to trunk from an MX

IanTerry
Getting noticed

Yes the AP is configurd with the VLAN.

Ultimately, I want to create something similar to you - 4 SSIDs, IP subnet per SSID. Using MX as a core device in Bridge mode with the 4 subnets and of course WAN link. Is there anything that I need to do on the MX to allow communication between VLANs so that a user on SSID-1 can reach resources with the other subnets via MX?

As far as I am concerned, the routing will be in place by default - but with the ongoing connection issue I'm not sure now.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have a layer 3 interface for each VLAN on the MX, I'm guessing you need it to create the DHCP pool but as all our MXs are in single LAN mode I thought best to ask.. 

IanTerry
Getting noticed

Yes each VLAN is a L3 subnet and has DHCP configured - nothing more than 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24 etc

DHCP pool from 101-199 per subnet and .254 as the MX IP address

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That does seem odd, back to using a PC (or similar), if you connect it to the trunk port and set the NIC to VLAN 347, does it get an address from the appropriate DHCP pool?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would factory reset the AP.  Something is screwy.

Will be trying Meraki in the first instance, then factory reset probably

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels