MR53E Access points reverting to 100 Meg switch port connection speed?

twandrist
Here to help

MR53E Access points reverting to 100 Meg switch port connection speed?

All are running on Cisco Switches, POE+ power injected on 1 Gig dedicated switch port.

They keep reverting back to 100 Meg connection, or bouncing back and forth from 100 Meg to 1 Gig.  This problem just seemed to have started as of late. We have changed nothing on the switch side, cabling has not changed, but yet the keep reporting that they are connected at 100 Meg, off a 1 GIG port?

All have the latest version of firmware on them.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

TIA, Tom

11 REPLIES 11
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@twandrist we have this with some MR52 APs, and I'm pretty sure it either started with 28.x or MS14.x.  It does only seem to happen where we have MS switches as opposed to Catalyst, but then we only find out on the latter by going to look, so I could be wrong. 

AxL1971
Building a reputation

to see if the issue with the MR device, have you connected a non AP (laptop as an example) to the same switch port and see if the connection bounces beetwen 100mb and 1gb

twandrist
Here to help

Axl, yes I have and had no issues with other POE+ devices. We have other AP's running on the same switches without issue?  It just seems to be the MR53e units that this is happening to.  If you reboot them, they might be fine for an hour, a day or so, next time I look, they are at 100 Meg.

Thanks

AxL1971
Building a reputation

Do a factory reset of the AP once its connects back to the dashboard the configuration will be pulled down

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/MR_Installation_Guides/MR53E_Installation_Guide#Factory_Reset_Bu...

twandrist
Here to help

Axl, did a factory reset on them already.  They are fine for awhile then revert back to 100 Meg. I tried the newest Beta release on one of them 29.4. but that didn't seem to help either.  I have replaced all the patch cables with new Cat6 cables, and that didn't help as well.  I'm wondering if the Admin Console is miss-reporting the link speed???  They seem to work ok, but the console is telling me they are reverting back/ running at 100 meg?

AxL1971
Building a reputation

what make model of switch is the AP connected to

what is the cable distance from AP to patch panel/switch

Have you done a cable test ?

Cisco 3560x, POE+, dual power supplies.

I have not ran a tester on the cables yet.  The weird part is that they have worked fine for years up until recently?

Same wire, same switches. One run is rather long, but one is 50ft and having the same issues.

I am wondering if the Port Profile/Aggregation be the issue???  This was a relative new release if I recall correctly?  The more I think about it, the more the timing of this coincides.

We are just using the "default" port profile settings as we have no need, at this time for it.

AGGREGATION
Speed 100 Mbps
Ethernet 1: Enabled
Ethernet 2: Disabled
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@twandrist I think you might have a point here.  I have two MR52s that keep failing to upgrade to 29.4 and when disabling aggregation on one, it behaved much better...  The support team said that if aggregation is enabled on the APs then LACP channels should be enabled on the switchport(s) and that not doing so can cause issues.

I will disable aggregation on my troublesome MR52 and see if that helps 🤞

After running a Fluke analyzer on the lines, it turned out to be patch cable related. Same manufacture of cables, one worked one didn't.  And they had been working prior to this latest issue?  Does POE+ tear up patch cables after a bit?  IDK... but something to keep an eye on. 

Thanks for all your input.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We've just replaced a patch cable that seemed fine a month or so ago on a small printer, yet now has a break in port 1.  This is the second or third issue we have had in the last few months, even with different manufacturers.  All the cables are shielded CAT6a, but I suspect supply chain issues are causing quality problems...

AxL1971
Building a reputation

on switch can you run following for the port the AP is connected to

show run interface gi x/x/x

show interface gi x/x/x capabilities

show power inline

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels