MR52 Repeater question

Paulie_G
Conversationalist

MR52 Repeater question

Howdy, I was tasked with deploying a repeater to join an already existing wireless mesh. I just want to know if anyone has done anything similar to what I'm doing and how is it working for you.  Here is how my setup looks like. Meraki M52 with an antenna connected to the POE port > Meraki MA-INJ-5, and on the data port > connects to a PC.   

It should work but it's seems like a waste connecting just a workstation. But Wanted to ask folks in here if anyone has deployed anything similar and how has it been working so far. 

Thanks ,

Paulie_G

4 REPLIES 4
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'm not sure about some of your descriptions (antenna connected to the PoE port? Really?)

- but it seems like you're planning to use an MR52 as a wireless adapter for your PC that doesn't have native WiFi?   This does seem overkill, compared to - for example - just buying a USB wireless adapter.   I guess, if you already have the AP and nothing better to use it for...

It's just possible you may be trying to connect over an extended distance, meshing to an existing meraki AP, using some kind of directional, high-gain antenna, in which case you'd probably want an AP with external connectors, such as an MR42E / 46E / 53E and choose the appropriate, compatible antenna for your needs.

You would need to follow the setup from here:  https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/Port_Profiles#:~:text=Meraki%20H%....

Paulie_G
Conversationalist

Thanks for the reply, I actually might have described the setup wrong. I'm actually using a MR84 WITH an antenna and that MR84 is connected to the data & power out port on the injector. From the Injector data in port a work station is plugged in.  It's a driving range for a golf course the serves up to 500 plus golfers at the busiest days.  

Just wanted to see if anyone had anything similar to what I'm about to deploy. 

Thanks,

Paulie_G

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Is the MR84 a repeater to a gateway MR? If so then what you describe is pretty much the same as my description. The PoE injector is powering the AP, but since the AP can’t get DHCP address from the PC (assuming it’s a reasonably standard config. on the PC) it will switch to repeater mode and try and find a gateway (or another repeater) and Mesh with it. The configuration in the Dashboard (Network-wide -> Configuration -> General -> Clients wired directly to Meraki APs) specifies which SSID the Ethernet port on the MR84 emulates.

Note that the MR84 needs two antennas, one connecting to the top two RF connectors, one connecting to the bottom two RF connectors, they should be the same antennas and covering the same area since all the ports are dual band and the radios are both 4x4:4.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I have a simple Mesh setup and it works fine. It’s an MR33 repeater Meshed back to a MR42 gateway. Have a PC directly connected to the wired port on the MR33 as well as other wireless devices also connecting to the MR33 and it all works fine, no problems.

If you’re adding to an existing network just be aware of the halving of the uplink bandwidth towards the gateway for every hop that you make. Also have a look at this document for supported configs: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Extending_the_LAN_with_a_Wireless...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels