MR52 Rebooting?

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

MR52 Rebooting?

Hey guys

I have one site with MR52s (21 of them in total) and last week (after a few months of operation with no issues) they started to reboot randomly each day, maybe twice a day, one of them half a dozen times.

Not all of them, just 4 or 5 of them were doing it. These are between different switch stacks as well (WS-C2960X-48FPS-L), so plenty of power. Went from 25.11 to 25.13, still rebooting randomly.

Testing with support and we upgraded them to 26.X and now about 10 of them are rebooting.

I'm actively working with Meraki support who is very helpful, but just curious if anyone else out there is having symptoms like this? Solutions?

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
8 REPLIES 8
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I guess you tried factory defaulting them?  

Maybe you could try moving some to a different network temporarily with a minimal (or no) configuration and monitor them for a few days to see if they still reboot.  This may help rule out a software issue vs. hardware.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I've been battling MX's rebooting lately, not MR's 😞

We also don't use the MR52 so I can't provide any help there. But we have lots and lots of MR42's and I can't say we've run across this problem. 

Following to see where you end up here. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't recall any MR52's that I look after, but I have not had that issue with any other MRs.  Having said that, I'm not sure I would notice the odd AP rebooting, especially if they only do it one at a time.

Not with MR's - but I have seen Meraki devices in the past (rarely) get into a slow infinte reboot loop because the cloud thinks there software upgrade failed, and keeps repeating it.

The dashboard reports the software version the device is meant to be running, not the software version it actually is running, so only support can diagnose this one.

So perhaps you could ask support to verify the actual code version running on the AP, as opposed to what the dashboard is reporting.

There is also the old IT adage; have you tried physically powering down one of the problem APs and then restoring power?

Thanks Phil

Yes I've tried doing all kinds of things. Cables verified as well. Multiple firmware versions confirmed by support. Everything was fine for months until last week and then some of them just started doing this.  I'm now digging into the 2960s to see if there is anything there (nothing yet so far).

Now it looks like this, which is a week long view of some of them.  Some worse than others.

1234567.JPG

TwitterLinkedIn

This might be too hard to do; but if you swap a problem AP with a non-problem AP - does the issue follow the AP or stay with the port where it was plugged in?

Has your part of the world experienced any lightening storms recently?

Worth a shot. At this point I"m willing to try anything lol. Just want them to be stable. I'll try doing a complete factory reset and then I have a SPARE that I can swap with one to see how it does. Used to only be 4 of them that were doing this, so we tried new firmware, now its 10.

No clue about lightning, its in a major city up north so I doubt it as its winter.
TwitterLinkedIn

Only update I can provide at this point is that the access points magically stopped rebooting and things have been stable for the last 7 days. Still waiting to see how things go for another week or so.
TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels