MR52 Outdoor but well sheltered

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

MR52 Outdoor but well sheltered

I have a need to put an AP in a little hut in my garden that has power and i can get Ethernet over power well to the location. It won’t be getting rained on or anything, just maybe changes in relative humidity when it rains. Anything to be concerned about?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
4 REPLIES 4
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Datasheet says humidity from 5% to 95% so long as it’s non-condensing, so sounds good to me. https://meraki.cisco.com/product-collateral/mr52-datasheet/ 

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There exists something like a NEMA closure.  But I'm not sure if that won't drive the price too far up 🙂

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RumorConsumer as long as inside the hut doesn't go over or under the operating temperature and humidity ranges then you should be fine.  I'm installing an AP in a log cabin in the garden but I'm insulating it first so it doesn't get too hot or too cold and the humidity is more like a normal building.

If you don't or haven't insulated the roof in particular, I'd put a sensor in there, even in the UK, without insulation the cabin in my garden went over 36C(97F) in the summer, insulation just of the roof dropped that to mid 20s (75F).

The MR52 maximum supported environment operating temperature is 40C(104F)...!

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Ok good to know. I think i will be in range

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels