MR52 Coil whine?

SOLVED
RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

MR52 Coil whine?

I have an MR52 close to my desk and I can hear a little electronic noise coming from inside. Its not super loud but its definitely present and it intensifies with network activity. Anybody know off top if this is all MR52s or if theres a gradient? I have one I could try up there instead but Im not sure if they would all do this. Would like a little quieter.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@RumorConsumer wrote:

I just bought some acoustic dampening pads and I’m going to take a run at creating an envelope that this MR 52 could go in and sit somewhere out of sight. My guess is it won’t require very much ventilation

A lead housing has a great acoustic dampening ... 😉

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have a MR52 just two meters away and have just put my ear directly  on the device. Nothing to hear! I would open a support-case for an exchange.

can you do me a favor and try starting a download and then listening to it?

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.

Yes, while doing a speediest there is a little electric noise. But I only can hear it if I am next to the AP. Even my iMac makes a louder noise.

@KarstenI Im about 6 feet from mine in a quiet room and its loud over my shoulder. I have three other MR52s that arent in service so maybe ill try swapping one in.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This sounds like the start of a great practical joke.

I just bought some acoustic dampening pads and I’m going to take a run at creating an envelope that this MR 52 could go in and sit somewhere out of sight. My guess is it won’t require very much ventilation

@RumorConsumer wrote:

A lead housing has a great acoustic dampening ... 😉

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels