MR47 and/or MR37 ?

Holli69
Getting noticed

MR47 and/or MR37 ?

Hello,

does anyone has an idea, if a MR47 and/or MR37 with 6GHz support will be available in 2022?

The MR57 AP is an upgrade for MR5x Productline. What about MR4x and MR3x Productline?

10 Replies 10
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Only Meraki knows ...

But based on the past, I would not expect these devices anytime soon. 

WB
Building a reputation

It's not much different to the MR46 to be honest other than the actual aesthetics of the AP and the addition of the 4x4:4 6 GHz radio. Otherwise the 2.4&5 GHz 4x4:4 radios are the same as the MR46 currently has.

The MR56 has an 8x8:8 5 GHz radio so if anything you could class it as a 'downgrade' from that model

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's certainly not a downgrade. With the Dual 5 GHz mode on the MR57 it can perform much faster than the MR56. (based on the environment)

Holli69
Getting noticed

But as I know, the MR36,MR46,MR56 arrives nearly at the same time, the MR44 comes later.

It would be nice to see an MR37 with 2,4/5/6 GHz and all with 2x2:2 at the "low cost" end of all Cisco Meraki AP's.

In my opinion, the 6GHz spectrum is a big improvement. It will also be used with the upcoming WiFi7 Standard in 2024.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We have a problem with 6Ghz.  Large chunks of the world have still not approved it for use, or have only approved small chunks of its for use.

At the moment, the main benefit for those buying the MR57 is the dual 5Ghz radios - since there is a good chance they can't use the 6Ghz radios yet.

I don't see a strong argument for selling more 6Ghz models without the dual 5Ghz radios - as you would be advertising a capability that a lot of people could not use, and people could easily be misled.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Some customers told me that the first devices with 6E showed up (Laptops and Smartphones/Tablets). Even with only 500MHz approved in EU, there are some customers that really would like to have an MR37 if that would be available. The MR57 is far too expensive for most of them.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd have thought an MR37 or an even smaller focused model (MR27?) which had no 2.4GHz radios would make sense.

6GHz will have lower coverage per AP than 5GHz and as we already know, in high density deployments we often turn off 2.4GHz for some or even all APs.  I'd see MR57 as every other AP with infill from this smaller model.

WB
Building a reputation

Wi-Fi 7 is way off in the distance, 6E support will barely be available in consumer devices other than flagship mobile & laptops by 2024!

WB
Building a reputation

Check out the recent Cisco Live announcement if you haven't already the CW9162 fits the tri-2x2 radios you were looking for!

Holli69
Getting noticed

Actually, we have a lot of windows Notebook devices with Intel AX210 WiFi card inside. I think, the next generation of Apple devices will also use WiFi 6E. We plan to implement it as far as possible, but as KarstenI mentioned the MR57 is too expensive for big deployments. But we will see what Meraki and other vendors will do in near future.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels