MR46 vs. MR46E

ChesterX
Here to help

MR46 vs. MR46E

I understand that the MR46 has internal antennas and the MR46E has external antennas, but what does that mean practically?  Does it give better coverage?  If so, how much better?  What does "better" mean?

7 REPLIES 7
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would start with the data sheets for both products.

As the MR46Es antenna are external to the AP you can fine tune coverage.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It does not give automatically "better" coverage, but "other" coverage. By the choice of the correct antenna, you can "direct the signal" to where you want to have it. A well sought of WLAN-requirement and solid WLAN design will tell you if you need them or if you can go with the less expensive models with internal antennas. If it is intended for an office environment, you will likely be fine with the internal antenna-devices.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For example.

A mr46 is best on the ceiling.

Mr46e could be a good choice for wall mount

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@ChesterX @The actual difference you need to understand is the difference between the outdoor and indoor antennas. The major difference is signal strength of the antenna with some of the other features which may be not so important. All vendors have same difference most of times

https://superuser.com/questions/151162/difference-between-indoor-and-outdoor-wifi-access-points

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Inderdeep all of antennas for the MR46E are actually marketed as indoor antennas, even though they are not internal to the AP.  Though it may or may not be possible to use them outside under a canopy... 😉

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@cmr : That may be different case but what the real question i got it from @ChesterX is the difference on the outdoor and indoor. May be i misunderstood 🙂 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Inderdeep I've edited my comment to make it clearer, thanks for pointing out the error!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels