MR46 fail connection - authentication stage - new to Meraki

Solved
A4WanMan
Here to help

MR46 fail connection - authentication stage - new to Meraki

I have a user reporting a PC is "loosing connection to the wifi throughout the day".  Checking the AP, I see a failed connection in the event log during the authentication stage with the reason:

reason='eapol_timeout' radio='0' vap='0' channel='11' rssi='62'

This is an HP mini PC using a USB wireless adapter (AC) with a Realtek driver.  The PC is in the same classroom as the MR46.  We have the same PC / AP combination in about 15 classrooms.

I have:

*  swapped the USB wireless adapter between another PC that isn't having reported issues

*  updated driver via Windows update

I updated the MR46 firmware to  27.7.1 today to see if that will help.  Issue stays with PC.  Other than re-imaging the PC, what are some other suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution
A4WanMan
Here to help

I may have solved my problem.  I changed the driver from the built-in Microsoft driver to the Realtek driver.  I also disabled the 2.4 Ghz band on the NIC since the AP is physically in the same room at the PC.  I have not had any more reports with dropping.  I think the NIC was jumping APs.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
allanmack
Conversationalist

EAPoL timeout indicates an 802.1X issue. Have you checked the logs for this user on your RADIUS server?

Not using a RADIUS server.  Win 10 "desktop" PCs that we added a USB wireless adapter then connected to a WPA2 SSID manually.

Tony7
New here

I am also having this connection loss issue, also new to Meraki, and also not using a RADIUS server.  Looking forward to anyone else having some insight. 

A4WanMan
Here to help

I may have solved my problem.  I changed the driver from the built-in Microsoft driver to the Realtek driver.  I also disabled the 2.4 Ghz band on the NIC since the AP is physically in the same room at the PC.  I have not had any more reports with dropping.  I think the NIC was jumping APs.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels