MR46 AP not visible in inventory and not recognizable on the network

Solved
Nic_B
Here to help

MR46 AP not visible in inventory and not recognizable on the network

Hello

Recently purchased licenses for devices on our network but the 3 MR46 AP are not recognizable on the network. I am having trouble trying to get the AP to work.

I can see the devices connected when I go to switch>monitor and select summary. Though the icons show they are only being powered but no uplink.

Also under inventory I only see two devices claimed switch and MX security appliance. Therefore I am unable to add the AP to a network. When I try to claim the AP I get an error that the devices are already in use.

I cant event access them through my.meraki.com to configure them. Is there a way to remove them and claim them again. I need urgent help on this please.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

You'll definitely need to get the vendor to add your Meraki account to that new ORG. Once they do, you'll see two ORGs avaialble when you login to the dashboard. They may have done that if they are helping with managing the wireless portion of the network and if that's the case (and you don't want them to have access to your firewall/switch) then two ORGs aren't the end of the world - just means a few extra steps. My recommendation would be to combine once you have access to both ORGs. And if you are a time constraint, emailing support will take slightly longer to get the transfer complete. If you've got a bit of time, then it's all good.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Where did you buy them?

You need to claim them in the inventory first.

if they already in use, they are in another organization.  Contact meraki support they can tell you more.

Nic_B
Here to help

@ww That's what they have told me.

I cant see the other organization on my dashboard so I'm unable to unclaim them. 

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Nic_B : Tell them to unclaim the devices from the previous ORG from where you purchased and then you can claim them again in your ORG only.

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

@Inderdeep Thanks for your help.

@Nic_B You can ask the vendor to add you to the new ORG then you can transfer them to yours. 

You can transfer the hardware but I believe the only way to transfer a license is through support.

I just had to do something very similar & support was needed to transfer the license. But you have to be an admin in both ORGs for support to know you are entitled to those licenses. It's a pretty quick process and took only around 15 minutes.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Moving_Devices_between...

@geoffbernard Thank you this is helpful. Sent support an email, waiting for their response.

@Nic_B Just wanted to circle back & see if you were able to get this fixed. Did you hear back from support & were they able to get you squared away?

Its all sorted out now. I had a long call with support and had to go back to my supplier to ask them to unclaim the devices. Thank you all for your help.

geoffbernard
Here to help

Where did you purchase the APs from? I wonder if either the vendor was trying to be helpful and added them to a new ORG they setup. It's also possible the APs were used in a previous network. When you order the devices, you should have received an email from the vendor with your Meraki order number. That's the preferred way to add new devices since it adds both the device and the license together.

If you can't find the devices in your inventory and getting a message they are already claimed, Meraki support will have to address that for you. Only they can see which ORG & network the devices are claimed by.

Hope that helps.

@geoffbernard The vendor started setup then came and installed the APs physically . 

Support says they can see 2 different organizations on one having the MX security appliance and switch and the other the APS. They have told me to unclaim the APs then add them to the organization I want. Problem is on my dashboard I only see one organization.

But when I click on the port device is connected to and check its status, this is what I see CDP/LLDP Meraki MR46 - WOMEN FUND TANZANI1A - wireless / 0 (Meraki MR46 Cloud Managed Indoor AP) 

That's the second organization (text in green) but I don't see where to locate it as I don't see it anywhere on my dashboard

You'll definitely need to get the vendor to add your Meraki account to that new ORG. Once they do, you'll see two ORGs avaialble when you login to the dashboard. They may have done that if they are helping with managing the wireless portion of the network and if that's the case (and you don't want them to have access to your firewall/switch) then two ORGs aren't the end of the world - just means a few extra steps. My recommendation would be to combine once you have access to both ORGs. And if you are a time constraint, emailing support will take slightly longer to get the transfer complete. If you've got a bit of time, then it's all good.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You need to speak with Meraki Support on this one - did you raise a case with them?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels