MR46 2.4Ghz radios all still on channel 1 after 24 hours

SOLVED
Darren8
Here to help

MR46 2.4Ghz radios all still on channel 1 after 24 hours

So I understand the radios start on a specific channel and then update but it's been over 24 hours and the 5Ghz radios are all on different channels but the 2.4Ghz radios are all on channel 1. The APs are all in 1 building across 5 floors.

Standard indoor RF profile. All APs say auto for channel but none have changed.

I've also tried forcing an update and they stay on channel 1.

Channel utilisation for 2.4Ghz is fair to poor everywhere.

Anyone experience this? What is the cause and fix?

Thanks, Darren

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PawelG
Building a reputation

What firmware they are on?

If You look at 26.8.1 bug fixes there is this one:

• AutoRF channel changes did not take effect on the 2.4 GHz radio (MR36/MR46/MR46E/MR56/MR76/MR86)

Br, Pawel.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What makes you think there is a problem?  Anything to indicate this is not optimal?

The APs are close enough to overlap for roaming support and they can hear each other.

In fact, the dashboard says the interference is coming from the other MR46 APs on the same channel!

The Cisco WLC solution this is replacing was using different channels (same AP locations).

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Philip he said in his post that channel util on 2.4 GHz is bad everywhere so yeah that's not optimal 😜
Cisco and Meraki both only use multi channel architectures.  No support for single channel architecture.

PawelG
Building a reputation

What firmware they are on?

If You look at 26.8.1 bug fixes there is this one:

• AutoRF channel changes did not take effect on the 2.4 GHz radio (MR36/MR46/MR46E/MR56/MR76/MR86)

Br, Pawel.

26.6.1 - sounds like upgrading wouldn't help

PawelG
Building a reputation

Why?

The bug has been fixed in 26.8.1 and You are running 26.6.1

Br, Pawel.

Sorry, I misread your message🙃.

I will check the release notes and give it another 24 hours and might upgrade then.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Darren8you really want to go to 27.3, it is much better for the Wi-Fi6 APs  If you are on 26.6.1 it will not update.

JohnD
Getting noticed

Yes absolutely, go for 27.3 if you have a Wifi 6 AP. Overall Wifi 6 performance is so much better compared to the 26.x series.

With regards to your channel situation, might be worth checking the RF spectrum view to see if other channels are actually better. Meraki's Auto RF does not enjoy hopping around unless there is an obviously better choice.

Finally, if you have enough overlapping coverage and 2.4GHz is hopelessly occupied, consider adding RX-SOP to your radio profile, but proceed carefully with that and with ample testing, as RX-SOP can considerably shrink cell radius.

ClaytonMeyer
Here to help

I'm seeing this same issue with MR56's running firmware version 28.5. The vast majority of the AP's are all staying on channel 1.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels