MR45 and MR55 running on 802.3af?

Solved
-ray-
Here to help

MR45 and MR55 running on 802.3af?

HI there, I am wondering if the new MR45 and Mr55 are running with limited power means 802.3af like the old APs?

of course with limitation in the amount of enabled radios and MIMO but at least run to ease transformation of large scale.

1 Accepted Solution

The following answer I got in the Wi-Fi 6 Webinar.

" All of our WAPs have 4 radios. The BLE and scanning radios won't work if you're on 802.3af. The client serving radios will still have enough power to serve client devices.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@-ray-  Yes, The APs might come online with 802.11af but it is not recommended as some of the antennas will be turned off and you won't be able to leverage 802.11ax.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it

The following answer I got in the Wi-Fi 6 Webinar.

" All of our WAPs have 4 radios. The BLE and scanning radios won't work if you're on 802.3af. The client serving radios will still have enough power to serve client devices.

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

I just installed a MR45 with 802.3 af.  It's running in Mesh mode and now I'm wondering if it's because it's under powered.  Anyone seen that before?

Yes, saw that with some of my MR55 as well.

As I was told they will work in a reduced way but had issues I opened a SUPPORT case and was told. that the MR45 and MR55 are not working in 802.3af and would have strange behaviour.

I was also told to have the latest version of software running on it too.

So in short you need 802.3at as per the datasheet ... unfortunately.

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

I replaced the switch this morning to a 2960X but AP will only connect at 100Mb and still getting error about 802.3af.  At this point I think it might be some type of cabling issue.  Going to check in a couple days when I can get time to pull out the big ladder to check it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels