MR42E not keeping page available

SOLVED
dorianst2
Just browsing

MR42E not keeping page available

I have several MR42E in a dealership showroom.   The only issue I am having is when using an Ipad to connect to a finance contract site for the customer to sign their documents, the site will not go to the next page if you start with the Ipad in one location and then walk over to a desk on the other side of the room and the Ipad moves from one AP to another.   If you walk the Ipad back towards the originating AP, then the site will function normally until you move it away from the originating AP again.   Again, this is the only site that I can find any issues with, but I cannot find any settings that would prevent this from happening.   Any input would be appreciated.   Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Can you validate for us how the L2 side is setup?

Assuming the access points are connected to switches, and those switches are able to communicate with one another through a distribution layer or L3 device etc.

Are the AP's on switch ports configured for trunk with the VLANs your SSID's are using allowed? You'll want to make sure this is the case for each AP to ensure smooth roaming and hand-off (keeping the same IP). The access poinst all need to be on the same L2 subnet.

Your client DHCP side should be setup so that as you roam from one AP to the next, you keep the same IP.

This will allow for fast-roaming when using 802.1X etc.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

What mode is your ssid in?

And just to be clear it doesn't matter which AP you start from right?

I have the SSID that the Ipads use configured as 802.1X with Meraki RADIUS.  It doesn't seem to matter which AP they start with, although I've only ever been able to duplicate it when it moves to this one AP.  I can see it move in the logs, but I've never had any complaints that there are issues with other locations so I've never had the chance to monitor to see if they do traverse.   On another note, it is possible that they don't leave their originating AP when the problem doesn't present itself.  The AP that it happens on just happens to be the farthest away from the originator.   The Ipads always start out from the same point.

They are all set up for L3 roaming for the IP assignment.

Do you have a use-case for L3 roaming? Meaning: are the APs on which users have to roam in different subnets?

If they are, do those subnets have L3 connectivity to each other?

I really don't have a case for the L3 set up.  It was kind of a last ditch effort to alleviate my problem.  I was able to spend some more time this morning monitoring the Ipads and how effectively they were roaming, and I discovered that my radio power settings may have been too high for the area so they would hang on to the originating AP a lot longer than I thought.  I modified the profile on the AP's in the showroom and the Ipads now roam a lot quicker.  I'll have to wait until I can get a customer here to attempt to process a contract to see if my original problem is resolved.   I appreciate your input though. 

Can you validate for us how the L2 side is setup?

Assuming the access points are connected to switches, and those switches are able to communicate with one another through a distribution layer or L3 device etc.

Are the AP's on switch ports configured for trunk with the VLANs your SSID's are using allowed? You'll want to make sure this is the case for each AP to ensure smooth roaming and hand-off (keeping the same IP). The access poinst all need to be on the same L2 subnet.

Your client DHCP side should be setup so that as you roam from one AP to the next, you keep the same IP.

This will allow for fast-roaming when using 802.1X etc.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

So what turned out to be the issue?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels