MR42E - Mix Antennas?

SOLVED
SLR
Building a reputation

MR42E - Mix Antennas?

Hello - 

I have a location that has 2 MR33 and we are looking to replace them with three MR42E. 

The intent was to order 3 MR42E devices. 1 will go into main office area (direct network cable plugged into) 5-PAK Omni antenna. 1 will go in the back of the office which is closest to a warehouse building where they want to extend the signal to (Narrow Patch Antenna), and the last one would go into the warehouse building (A/C power supplied since there is currently zero internet access out there and running an aerial or underground cable is not an option for the location with Narrow Patch Antenna)

The warehouse is 200ft from back of the office where the MR42E with Narrow patch will be installed.

Would is be okay to mix the antennas or will this cause overall issues with the environment which currently has dual band steering? I attached site survey. CaptureSurvey.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Network-dad
A model citizen

There was already a post about this.. It may be ok as long as you don't use 2 different antennas on the same AP. but from what everyone is saying I would not recommend it. 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Can-we-mix-two-types-of-antenna-sector-antenna-and-omni...

Dakota Snow | Network-dad Linkdedin
CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Check out The Bearded I.T. Dad onThe Bearded I.T. DadThe Bearded I.T. Dad

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Network-dad
A model citizen

There was already a post about this.. It may be ok as long as you don't use 2 different antennas on the same AP. but from what everyone is saying I would not recommend it. 

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Can-we-mix-two-types-of-antenna-sector-antenna-and-omni...

CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
SLR
Building a reputation

thank you.. below is what we were looking at.  I was looking to go with all three MR42E being on the Narrow Patch Antenna. 

CISCO MERAKI INDOOR DUAL-BAND ACCS OMNI ANTENNA 5PK FOR MR42E

CISCO MERAKI INDOOR DUAL-BAND ACCS NARROW PATCH ANT 5PORT MR42E

Since the AP's are not in the same area you may be ok but I still would be worried about devices seeing both ap and jumping back and forth and dropping. Hopefully, someone else can chime in but I think you should be good.

CMNO | A+ | ECMS2
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels