Can anyone suggest on below 2 queries ;

1. No of users/ clients supported by MR42

2. Area in meters supported by MR42

3 Replies 3
MichelRueger
Building a reputation

Hello Achna,

to first queries, No of User.

*  There are two factor witch need to be considered.

*    first the technical Point of view. The MR42 has 3x3 MIMO and a Max aggregate frame rate of 1.9 Gbit/s. This Means tat the Access Point has like 3 Radios inside do he can communicate on three different frequents at a time or he can channel this three to one single client (if the client support it) and increase the bandwidth to this client. 

*  second the place where you are using this wireless LAN. as Wireless LAN is in the Air and you only ha a limited number of Channels (depending witch Country you are in) all clients are using the same channels are only capable to send one after the other. This is what we call Airtime. More User sitting on the same Chanel as smaller becomes your Airtime (Time you have to send your Data)

So there is no Technical response on how many Clients a Access Point can Handel. But my Exprirence is 

MR20 --> very Small Office or Home Use 10 to 20 User

MR33 --> Standard Use in Office up to around 50 User at a time per Access Point

MR42 --> Place where it becomes Crowded Like a Restaurant or High School cantina.

MR52 / MR33 --> High Usage Places like Sport events or Music Concert Hall with 100's of Peoble

* Second Query Area in Meters Supported by MR42

The Area with a Access Point is Covering depends on  to things. First his Antenna behaving. first thing to look at is the Radiation Pattern of the Antennas Have look at the Datasheet page 8 https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_MR42.pdf this show you how the Antenna is sending the signal. in the Case of the MR42 with integrated antennas like a ball.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-13 um 08.54.45.png
This can be changes if you are using the MR42E with external Antennas. 
After this, it depends where you are using this Access Point. If you using it in a Hall witch is empty you can reach the signal more than 100 meter (320 feet). but if you are in a Building with heavy walls it is possible that the signal don't get more that 10 Meters (32 feet) far. 
I give you an example in my 200 square meter apartment in Switzerland build with massive Stone walls (concrete) and 7 Rooms i have tree Meraki MR33 and 1 Meraki MR42 Access Point to cover all of it. as i live in the 3th floor the MR42 is even covering the Garden 🙂

i hope i cloud give you some input to answer you question. If you need more Details just let me know.

Regards Michel

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

3x3 refers to the tx rx antennas.  in this case it has 4 radios 2.4 ,  5 , dual-band wips/wids(not for cliënts) and a bluetooth radio

"Each access point has a technical limitation of 128 clients maximum per radio. Please note that this is only a theoretical maximum; in practice, interference caused by multiple clients communicating simultaneously will cause this limit to be far lower."

Thanks Michel , it helps.

In my case , it's a college campus where there would be around 100 users/students in 300 sq. meter area.

Coverage seems great with 3*MR42 also it maintains redundancy.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels