MR42 set up a different IP subneting

suprimir
Here to help

MR42 set up a different IP subneting

Hi there,

I am quite new on networking and my company wants to replace our old Wifi system to Meraki MR42.

I have one AP MR42 in the office for trial. It is connected to our Cisco Catalyst 3750.

I already setup dashboard and also i am able to to create a guest SSID and an internal SSID as Meraki documentation mention.

However for internal SSID i would like lease a different IP instead the 10.0.0.0/8. For example i would like to lease 192.168.1.0/24 or 10.7.13.0/24. Also i don't want to lease IP from our internal DHCP as we use them for wired connections and it running out quick.

I know i can use VLAN tagging for instance with ID 50 and setup the port as trunk.... However Does it mean i have to setup up our CIsco 3750 with the same VLAN 50? Honestly i don't want do many changes on our Switch Catalyst 3570.

I am sure i am missing something on the dashboard as basically what i want is setup my own SSID with own IP lease.

Can someone help?

Best Regards.

12 REPLIES 12
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Just create an SSID and use Meraki's DHCP. It will keep things separated. Now if you want to control addresses and leases you'd have to make a subnet like 192.168.1.0/24 and make the Catalyst the default gateway and make the connection to your AP a trunk port. So yes you would have to create VLAN if you wanted that but again to keep things simple use Meraki DHCP even though it uses 10.0.0.0/8 it won't interfere with what you currently have.

Enthusiast

Hi  kYutobi,

Thanks for your answer. Following your answer means i have to create a new Vlan on our Catalyst then use same Vlan on SSID, so give an IP to that Vlan as default gateway. Is this correct?

If not can you explain me how i can subnet 192.168.1.0/24 on Meraki MR42?

Also our workshop need at least 10 SSID with specific IPs, this is also why i need to manage the DHCP 😞

Thanks again.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

• On the Catalyst create a VLAN and assign the number.
  • Make the Catalyst default gateway 192.168.1.1
  • Setup DHCP for that VLAN
  • Set cable going to AP a trunk port allow vlans
  • On the Guest SSID portion of Meraki add VLAN tag # (whatever the vlan number you create is)
  • You can then do the same thing for the other SSID's you want to assign a VLAN to.

VLAN2= 192.168.2.1

VLAN3= 192.168.3.1

OR

VLAN2=192.168.20.1

VLAN3=192.168.30.1

Enthusiast

Thanks kYutobi,

I understand you 😉 but this is not what i am looking for as i don't want to create 10 vlans on Catalyst just for Wifi connection. I would like to leave it as simple as it is. Is there another model i can do this?

Regards.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

For MR's I don't believe so. I know you can setup DHCP on MXunit and MS switches but if you want to keep it simple just do the 10 SSID's with Meraki DHCP. They don't communicate with your LAN and its seperated. Even within the SSID's you create with Meraki DHCP clients don't communicate with each other. 

Enthusiast

As @kYutobi said. The built-in DHCP in the APs always uses 10.0.0.0/8. You can't change this. If you want to use a different range you need another DHCP server (can be an MX an L3 Meraki switch or your existing DHCP server).

Imo the best way to solve this is to indeed define a VLAN for your wireless network so you can define another IP range on your DHCP server for it. But this will indeed require changes on your switch and DHCP server.

Thanks @BrechtSchamp  and @kYutobi

Maybe it will be a good idea check a MX L3 model instead MR42, as in our office we need to create many SSID with diferents IP subnet.

Regards.

Just to be clear. For the access point functions you'll still need the MR42. It's just for the DHCP (and routing functionality) that you need either an MX or an MS switch that supports L3 (MS250 and up).

My advice would be to get in contact with a local Cisco partner and talk to them about a full network renewal. You likely need a new design and new hardware, 3750 is EOL.

Nick
Head in the Cloud

I agree - to create what you want you will need to make some changes to the Catalyst. A refresh, some MS / MX will make it all a lot easier
dalmiroy2k
Getting noticed

In the Dashboard, go to "Wireless" - "SSIDs"

• Edit your SSID settings In the Addressing and traffic section,
  • Click Bridge mode: Make clients part of the LAN
  • Edit your MR42 DHCP pool as pleased

1.jpg

1.jpg

Hi dalmiroy2k,

I cannot find the option to edit MR42 DHCP pool i am afraid. Can you let me know where i can find it?

Best Regards.
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Bridge Mode just means you're using your internal network for DHCP. Whatever is providing it currently.

Enthusiast
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels