MR42 connected but no internet??

Runkljef1
Here to help

MR42 connected but no internet??

Running an MR42 at home and it randomly disconnected when noboy was home all day. I get home this evening and it's connected but there's no internet. I have unplugged everything, reset and replaced cables but same result. I'm running a Linksys (brand new) router and a Cisco modem. Light on the AP is solid blue and all the lights on the rotuer and modem appear to be lit, except for the internet light. Please help!

9 REPLIES 9
Adam
Kind of a big deal

A good place to start may be to setup alerts at Network-wide>Alerts so you can get e-mails when it goes on/offline.  It could assist in troubleshooting.  Other than that there is no real reason it should go offline unless something upstream is going offline.

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Thanks I do get alerted when it goes offline but it gave me no indication as to why. My problem is it's connected but there's no internet. Can't figure out how to fix it
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@Runkljef1 wrote:

Light on the AP is solid blue and all the lights on the router and modem appear to be lit, except for the internet light

I'm not sure which internet light you are referring to, but what you have sounds as if the problem is router / modem related. Is WoL enabled on either the router or the modem? And are either of them running "power-saver" style software, so they sleep when nothing is happening?

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

I was referring to the light on the modem that indicates Internet functionality is working. I don't believe WOL is enabled but I can't get into the router to confirm because I don't have an internet connection. No additional software is installed and no changes were made to the network prior to this happening

So you can't get tot the Linksys Router's web interface?  If so, I would try giving the router a power cycle.

Is your machine getting an IP address ok?

Turns out the cable line had gone bad due to the cold weather so it was an ISP issue!  Thanks for the feedback! 

If you have an e4200 Linksys router, it has form as far as its PSM upsetting devices/connectivity is concerned. https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Nest-Thermostat-and-Linksys-E4200-and-Power-Save-F...

In the past I have used them as both routers and bridges without issue, but the sites have been small and busy all round the clock.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you plug directly into your router with a cable - do you get Internet access?  If not, you have a router/ISP issue.

I'm not sure. I run a Mac and I don't have an adapter here to try and run it with Ethernet

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels