MR36 broadcast field

SOLVED
xeg12
Just browsing

MR36 broadcast field

I have just obtained a Meraki MR36 and would like to know the broadcast field pattern so I can place it in the best orientation for maximum efficiency

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

5 REPLIES 5
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@xeg12 it is pretty much a ball, check out the bottom of the datasheet here: https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/MR_Overview_and_Specifications/MR36_Datasheet

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@cmr is correct, the radiation pattern tends to be fairly spherical by design, so vertical wall mounting is very common and can be just as effective as horizontal mounting on a ceiling.  Theoretically I always argue that horizontal mounting is optimal with the indoor MR APs, but you can see not by much looking at the azimuth/elevation charts.  Hope that helps! 

>Theoretically I always argue that horizontal mounting is optimal with the indoor MR APs, but you can see not by much looking at the azimuth/elevation charts.

Here is a work party game for you.  Get someone to try different orientations (where you can not see) and then using any method you can, try and guess what orientation they put it in.

I always seem to get the same results.  I can't manage to measure any difference.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The pattern is way more spherical than the MR33.

For the MR33 there is a huge difference how you mount it.

If there is a 6 dB difference then you effectively double or halve the usable distance in that direction.

By the way the charts on the datasheet are still wrong.

On the right the keep messing up their X and Y planes.  I would like for someone from Meraki to finally fix that.

xeg12
Just browsing

Thanks all, I am most interested in the 5G range, and the charts have helped me to decide how to place it. NOT in the location I first thought!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels