MR34 random disconnects

SOLVED
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

MR34 random disconnects

I have an MR34 in a classroom that randomly loses connection during classes. I has the teachers chromebook in front of me while he was in his class. I then lost connection myself and when the teacher went to search on his chromebook he got the "Uh Oh no internet"  message. I check the event logs in Meraki and saw this:

Annotation 2020-03-02 091626.jpgwifi 312.jpg

@NolanHerring I would think this would be that wifi issue that we so love to discuss but just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

Enthusiast
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@kYutobi wrote:

@NolanHerring 

What firmware version is the MR34 running?

I would try 26.7 if you can, I believe I saw some other threads talking about 26.6.1 still having issues with some older models.

What hardware and software version are the clients running (intel etc.)?

Intel 7260 wifi card 

It is worth taking the time to verify what Intel driver version, in this situation I would recommend the latest

Are you able to confirm 100% (usually with supports assistance) that the AP is not rebooting when this happens?

Haven't confirmed (would it no show up in event logs?)

One would think they would show up in the logs, but they don't. Currently the only way to know 100% is to either contact support, or check the port they connect to and see if it went up/down etc. It's a huge hassle and I've been very vocal on how we have zero visibility into AP uptime.

The non-802.11 interference, is it always showing 50% like that or does it fluctuate or was that just a fluke screenshot?

Fluctuates

So let's pretend this is causing the issue. Does it happen only on channel 36? If so, what happens if you statically assign this classroom MR34 onto say channel 149 or maybe a DFS channel like 64, something away from channel 36.  Depending on results, you might end up having to track down that interference source (if real) and eliminate.

Are you using AutoRF? - If so, check when a channel change happens, does it correlate to the clients disconnects?

I think you forgot to answer this one 😃

Is it just this MR34? Are there others?

For now just one MR34 in a classroom. Do not have reports from anyone of issues elsewhere.

This is good news then, as it should make it easier to troubleshoot.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Are you able to confirm 100% (usually with supports assistance) that the AP is not rebooting when this happens?
The non-802.11 interference, is it always showing 50% like that or does it fluctuate or was that just a fluke screenshot?
Are you using AutoRF? - If so, check when a channel change happens, does it correlate to the clients disconnects?
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring 

Intel 7260 wifi card 

Fluctuates

For now just one MR34 in a classroom. Do not have reports from anyone of issues elsewhere.

Enthusiast

@kYutobi wrote:

@NolanHerring 

I would try 26.7 if you can, I believe I saw some other threads talking about 26.6.1 still having issues with some older models.

Intel 7260 wifi card 

It is worth taking the time to verify what Intel driver version, in this situation I would recommend the latest

One would think they would show up in the logs, but they don't. Currently the only way to know 100% is to either contact support, or check the port they connect to and see if it went up/down etc. It's a huge hassle and I've been very vocal on how we have zero visibility into AP uptime.

Fluctuates

So let's pretend this is causing the issue. Does it happen only on channel 36? If so, what happens if you statically assign this classroom MR34 onto say channel 149 or maybe a DFS channel like 64, something away from channel 36.  Depending on results, you might end up having to track down that interference source (if real) and eliminate.

I think you forgot to answer this one 😃

This is good news then, as it should make it easier to troubleshoot.

TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels