MR33 connectivity issue for some clients

SOLVED
francktls
Getting noticed

MR33 connectivity issue for some clients

Dear Meraki Community,

I got 3 different customers using MR33 APs and all of them reporting issues with this product.

Symptoms are as follows, some equipment are able to associate to a SSID on an specific MR33 AP while others fails. But they can connect to another MR33 AP. All equipment are in the same network.

For my 3 customers, I noticed the connected device were only in 802.11b/g channels (2.4GHz) ! Tried reboot, factory reset, nothing.

Is there any bug somewhere ? Firmware version is the latest stable.

Meraki support asked me to deactivate 5GHz band steering and upgrade to the latest beta version.

But my concern is band steering is recommended in best practices and I would like to be sure the beta will also work properly and will not bring other issues.

Hope somebody else experienced the issue with this model to work together.

Many thanks,

Franck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Lars
Conversationalist

Hi RG.

The problem were solved after forced firmwareupdate followed by 2-3 reboots (my firmware are now running ver. from 17. october 2017. Clients also updated and rebooted.

Hope this helps.

/Lars

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Band steering requires that the client send an active probe request - and not all clients do.  Those that don't wont see the SSID.  If the issue you are seeing is that clients can not even see the SSID then disable it - otherwise this is not related to your problem.

Upgrading to the beta firmware is a good idea to try.  The beta firmware has lots of issues resolved in it.

GuxMAN
Here to help

I have a client with similar problem, and one alternative solution we did was:
- Configure all MR33 with L3 Roaming in Access Control
- Configure the minimum bitrate to 24Mbps (excluding the 802.11b devices)
- Configure in radio settings the option of: Radio Power to Enable automatic power reduction.

With that we observed better performance over wifi.

I hope this can help you.

Greetings.

Arnaldo G.

Arnaldo Guzman
Lars
Conversationalist

Hi Franck.
Did you find a solution on this problem ?
I experience the same problem, and the problem is about 1,5 week old, the same time you experienced that some clients could not find the ssid and unable to connect to the MR33.

If you got a solution from support or others in the community, please add solution to this problem in this thread so more of us can solve our challenges.

Thanks in advance.
brgds Lars

RG
Here to help

Hi guys,

Recently I replaced some access point MR12 to MR33 and some clients reportered issues with connection but only when the connection is throught MR33 with another access point like MR42 doesn't have any issue.

Firmware
Up to date
Current version: MR 24.12

Did you find a solution?

Thank you !

Lars
Conversationalist

Hi RG.

The problem were solved after forced firmwareupdate followed by 2-3 reboots (my firmware are now running ver. from 17. october 2017. Clients also updated and rebooted.

Hope this helps.

/Lars

francktls
Getting noticed

It was a software issue. Now our cust reported no other issue. Many thanks, Franck.
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

With all manufacturers' products, I find everything works better if I turn off 802.11b compatibility.
Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
RG
Here to help

Hi guys,

Currently I have the same issue with some clients connect to MR33 but if the user move to another location and connect to MR32 or 42 with the same firmware the user connect without problem.

I have rebooted the AP several times but the issue is the same.

Current version: MR 25.9.

Faruzzi
Just browsing

Try unchecking "enable band steering" if you have enabled dual band operation (Radio Settings-Basic Indoor Profile / if you are using this - Per AP. Some devices just can get this setting right...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels