MR30H Extending the LAN for wired clients (bridge mode) using integrated gigabit switch

wil
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

MR30H Extending the LAN for wired clients (bridge mode) using integrated gigabit switch

I'd like to use a MR30H to extend the LAN for wired clients.

I would like to know if the 30H will extend the LAN to just the uplink port on the back of the 30H, or will it extend the LAN to the integrated gigabit switch ports as well.

My use case is a location without wired connectivity where I have 3 devices (non-wireless) that I would like to connect via ethernet to the 30H and then have the 30H bridge that traffic to the bridge SSID.

The best practice guide "Extending the LAN with a Wireless Mesh Link" shows how to do this in the first example topology with an AP and an external switch (2 pieces of infrastructure equipment).  My goal would be to use the 30H with its integrated gigabit switch to eliminate the need for an external switch and still connect 3 wired ethernet devices (1 piece of infrastructure equipment, just the 30H).

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

In short, yes.

Whatever ports you put in a VLAN, weather uplink or part of the LAN switch will be of that VLAN.

wil
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi Philip, thanks for the quick reply, have you had the opportunity to test this with a MR30H?  I have this working with other Meraki APs that do not have an integrated switch - so while I am assuming it would work with all the ports on the 30H (both uplink and integrated switch ports), my assumptions have not always panned out in the past.  Just wondering if anyone has tested this scenario with a 30H and can confirm.  Thanks!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I just had a quick play.  You attach a port to a wireless SSID.  Then in the SSID you say what VLAN to drop it into in the uplink port.

Screenshot from 2017-10-30 10-57-21.png

LeeVG
Here to help

I'm actually curious about this too. I have my MR30H acting as a repeater and extending the LAN to a phone via a mesh link. The ports on the MR30H are no problem at all, however I have not tested the uplink port to see if I can connect to the LAN. 

Has anyone tested it to see if the "Clients wired directly to Meraki APs" option under general applies to MR30H uplink ports?

It doesn't appear to extend the SSID via the uplink port however does if you use the switch ports.

In my scenario I have the following connections:

no SSID extension to the attached switch

• MR30H plugged into an MS220-8P for power

confirmed SSID extension to the attached switch

• MR30H plugged into an MS220-8P for power + MR30H switch port 1 plugged into MS220-8P

I have a feeling this LAN extension feature is affected by the AP switch port policies and blocking the "LAN" traffic on the uplink port

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels