MR26 only about 100 Mbps

Keamas
Conversationalist

MR26 only about 100 Mbps

Hello,

I have a 250 Mbps Internet Connection. If I use the Cable which is connected to the MR26 I get the full speed.

But if I am connected via WIFI i just get about 100 Mbps and I am sitting just next to the AP MR26.

The Connection between the Access point (MR26) and Switch (MS220-8P) is 1000 Mbit Full Duplex:

Ethernet 1
1000 Mbit, full duplex
6 REPLIES 6
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Keamas 

I’m no wireless expert but one thing that jumps out is that you’re allowing the full range of bitrate.  Try setting the minimum to 18Mbps and test again. Unless you’re using really old legacy wifi devices and require the lower nitrates?

UCcert_0-1610718166074.png

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There are a couple of things to check. The MR26 is "only" an 802.11n AP, so there are limitations.

The Radio-Profile shows "auto channel width". that means we could have 40 MHz here. Good!

What kind of client are you using? Does it support more that one spacial stream? With one SS  and 40 MHz, the max Radio-Rate would be 150 Mbit/s and around 100 Mbit real world should be ok. 

A tool like http://mackenziewifi.com/index.php/2020/01/02/windows-wlan-monitor-script/ can tell you more.

In addition to the previous comments;   WiFi has far more overhead than wired connections and is essentially half-duplex.

https://www.cwnp.com/wi-fi-overhead-part-1-sources-of-overhead/

Bettencourt
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello there! 😁😁😁

Looking at your screenshots attached there are some settings that definitely need to be revisited.

As many have indicated the bitrate should not be set from the minimum all the way to the maximum, as it doesn't benefit your network allowing any device to connect at very low MCS Rates.

We generally indicate to use 11Mpbs minimum if you require 2.4Ghz or 12Mbps if you do not.

Your transmit power is also set all the way to the maximum ↗️, this is not recommended, you should find the right range 🚥  and configure it accordingly.

A site survey 🔎 should be done to understand what is the minimum ↙️ and maximum ↗️ dBm you should configure so your AP doesn't start causing interference with others.

Being under the AP is also not good, the AP transmits its best signal horizontally ⬅️➡️ and then vertically ⬆️ (upwards mostly and a little bit downwards), you can see the isotropic graph on the last page of the PDF manual 📖.

Being too close to the AP can be almost as bad as being too far, if the signal comes in too strong 💪, it will be the equivalent at being at a rock concert next to the big speaker 📢, your signal will not be clear causing all sorts of strange behaviours.

This website http://mcsindex.com/ has some really cool information ℹ️ on what the requirement are in terms of modulation, coding and spatial streams to achieve the desired speed 🚤.

Once you have everything reconfigured you are then at your best ideal state, then you need to start taking into account, noise, interference from neighbouring APs, number of clients connected, number of SSIDs, the more connections you have, the more overhead you will have, this will all greatly affect the speed that you connect to the Cisco Meraki AP.

To just clarify, this is not specific to Cisco Meraki this is how it works on any and every vendor.

Let us know if you need any further help or guidance.

Cheers! 👍

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Screenshot_20210115-195412_Speedtest.jpgi get this with a single connected 2x2 client.

Keamas
Conversationalist

Thank you all for the input. I already did the settings which you recommended. I can test this stuff tomorrow I think.

And like @ww around 200 Mbit should be great.

My Clients are basically iPhone 11, iPad, and a relatively new HP Notebooks.

So there are not too old devices in the Network.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels