MR20 "2 client access radio" mean?

DAIDAI
Here to help

MR20 "2 client access radio" mean?

Hi All,

I'm comparing MR20 and MR33.

In MR20 datasheet, there is "5 GHz 802.11a/n/ac Wave 2 client access radio".

Someone knows what it mean?

And I think MR20 and MR33 can set multiple SSIDs.(ex. 3 x 2.5GHz SSID and 2 x 5GHz SSID)

It that correct?

Best regards,

3 REPLIES 3
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Yes, the MR20 has a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz radio. It doesn't have the third radio present on the MR33. The third Wi-Fi radio is used for:

-spectrum analysis

-air marshal

-autoRF

While these features are available on the MR20 (except maybe for rf spectrum, i would have to check), it has to use its regular two radios for them, causing it to stop serving clients for very short times (mostly unnoticeable by clients in less busy networks).

So yes, you can set multiple 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs. They will all use the same channel per band per AP though, so don't put too many SSIDs on a single AP. Recommendation is to not have much more than 4.

P.S. The MR33 also has a fourth Bluetooth radio for beacon detection that the MR20 doesn't have.

Nick
Head in the Cloud

If you can I would always go with an MR33, obviously its environment specific but its a much more capable device

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@Nick wrote:

If you can I would always go with an MR33, obviously its environment specific but its a much more capable device

Agreed.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels