MR18 - Only B or G

CPS
New here

MR18 - Only B or G

Is there a way to configure the MR18 access point to use only wifi B or wifi G?

We use 2 AP's MR18 in a warehouse to deliver wireless connection for Datalogic Skorpio handheld scanners.
Now we are suffering with roaming problems. Datalogic told us that it would be better to use only B or G on the accesspoints so we can put the scanners also fixed on B or G.

7 REPLIES 7
redsector
Head in the Cloud

Yes, go to "wireless" - "SSIDs" choose the SSID you want to change.

Then put the speed to higher density, then the b will not be supported (at about 12 MBit)Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-01 um 16.20.09.png

@redsector

What you have suggested makes sense, but, unfortunately, aged or old design, scanners are notorious for belonging in a museum as far as WiFi security and capability are concerned.

They will only attach to a WAP running IEEE802.11b/g - this is a security weakness, incredibly inefficient and depending on the APs concerned can limit overall network throughput for all devices connected to WAPs configured to handle these flavours of WiFi.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

@Uberseehandel redsector's suggestion is reasonable since the scanner uses B or G. By changing the minimum throughput so that B is not supported, G becomes the only choice on that SSID for the scanners. Other devices on the SSID can use N or AC as well if need be.

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator

@Chris_M wrote:

@Uberseehandel redsector's suggestion is reasonable since the scanner uses B or G. By changing the minimum throughput so that B is not supported, G becomes the only choice on that SSID for the scanners. Other devices on the SSID can use N or AC as well if need be.

It may be reasonable but, in my experience, being advised to use only 802.11b/g raises a red flag, better to stick the devices on their own physical network and white list them.

AS I also said very often, SSIDs that handle b/g are throughput constrained, even when running 802.11n. 802.11ac is a different radio.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

I think you guys have mis-read the original post.  The users only wants to use "B" or "G" - specifically they want to be able to use "B".  Or maybe I have mis-understood.  I'm not sure now I have re-read it.

I can not think of anyway to disable 5Ghz support.

If roaming is such a serious issue, disable the option that Meraki uses to make clients roam.

Wireless/Radio Settings

And set "Client balancing" to "Off".

Screenshot from 2018-02-02 08-37-24.png

Just to add, to my knowledge Meraki support have the ability to enable a 2.4Ghz only option for your MR SSID's. Open up a support case and ask to have it enabled for the network if required.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Correct, if that is the case and you want a 2.4GHz only network, call Meraki Support, as that option is not necessarily visible by default and they can enable a back-end feature to also give you a 2.4GHz-only radio button just like the 5GHz only button, and you can do this on an SSID-by-SSID basis.  

On the other hand, if you MUST support legacy 802.11b rates, you could also consider using AP tags and SSID Availability to only broadcast a legacy SSID at the 11Mbps rate from specific APs only where it's needed.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels