MR18 AP switching from gateway to repeater (mesh) mode but not switching back to gateway.

SOLVED
Jerome_T
Conversationalist

MR18 AP switching from gateway to repeater (mesh) mode but not switching back to gateway.

We have 4 or 5 MR18 AP connected on a small MS-220-8P on many remote locations.

All AP are configured with a static IP, so there is no DHCP running on the network.

At the setup, all AP are in gateway (normal) mode, no problem at all.

Then, after some months, we see some AP are switching in repeater (mesh) mode. Even if the ethernet link is still up, because they receive the PoE on it.

And more problematic, they never switch back to gateway (normal) mode.

We saw than with a cycle of the switch port or a reboot of the AP, they goes back in gateway mode.

I read here two informations:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/Meraki-AP-s-working-as-a-mesh/m-p/188#M15

1. The AP should never go in mesh mode with a static IP. As I can see here, this is not true.

2. Maybe our AP does not switch back in gateway mode because there is no DHCP?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jerome

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

All correct replies, more often than not this points to a physical layer issue, and I'd also suggest opening a ticket with Meraki Support and this will likely be the first thing they troubleshoot, I'd suggest a support ticket because they can have deeper troubleshooting visibility than would be visible in your Dashboard.  Another good suggestion by @JPena was checking the firmware version, go to your Organization > Firmware Upgrades page not only to see what your running, but look through the release notes for your specific AP models and firmware rev (plus previous revs) to see if anything applies.  There were some mesh/repeater issues and other general stability/performance improvements specific to mesh/repeater functions over the last year, I think mostly back in the earlier 24.X versions.  But even if nothing shows up in the release notes, still worth checking with Support who may have more details than what's in the release notes and change log.  Firmware fixes may have more to do with actual mesh/repeater operations, perhaps not what is causing your APs to sporadically fall into repeater mode, which brings us back to checking those L1 issues with cabling, patch panels, and any power injectors first.  Ring out those cables with the cable test button (since it's a Meraki switch) but also with an external TDR cable tester if you have one.  Also, if not enabled already, you can enable alerts anytime a gateway AP becomes a repeater AP under Network Wide > Alerts.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JPena
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Do you have any type of monitoring on the switch/uplinks? I'm thinking the APs briefly lose upstream connection, and switch to mesh. A power cycle will then be required to force it back to GW mode.

Also, is your firmware up to date?
Jose Pena
Network Support Engineer @ Cisco Meraki .:|:.:|:.
OyinTech
Here to help

I experienced this issue a significant amount of time. Each time it was either a bad switch port or bad cabling (most of the time).

If one pin on the patch panel or patch cable is bad, the AP will still receive PoE but may switch to repeater mode and will not switch back to Gateway until the problem is resolved. 

I will strongly recommend that you look closely at the cables and pins.

If that does not resolve the issue, call Meraki support.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @OyinTech.  I have also seen AP's going into repeater mode when they get PoE but something is wrong with the cabling or switch port configuration that prevents the AP from communicating via its Ethernet port.,

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Run a cable test, also bouncing the port usually brings it back.  But probably still a cable issue.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

All correct replies, more often than not this points to a physical layer issue, and I'd also suggest opening a ticket with Meraki Support and this will likely be the first thing they troubleshoot, I'd suggest a support ticket because they can have deeper troubleshooting visibility than would be visible in your Dashboard.  Another good suggestion by @JPena was checking the firmware version, go to your Organization > Firmware Upgrades page not only to see what your running, but look through the release notes for your specific AP models and firmware rev (plus previous revs) to see if anything applies.  There were some mesh/repeater issues and other general stability/performance improvements specific to mesh/repeater functions over the last year, I think mostly back in the earlier 24.X versions.  But even if nothing shows up in the release notes, still worth checking with Support who may have more details than what's in the release notes and change log.  Firmware fixes may have more to do with actual mesh/repeater operations, perhaps not what is causing your APs to sporadically fall into repeater mode, which brings us back to checking those L1 issues with cabling, patch panels, and any power injectors first.  Ring out those cables with the cable test button (since it's a Meraki switch) but also with an external TDR cable tester if you have one.  Also, if not enabled already, you can enable alerts anytime a gateway AP becomes a repeater AP under Network Wide > Alerts.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels