MR16 EOL

datboi9101
Conversationalist

MR16 EOL

Hi guys,

We have MR16 access points in our environment. If I understand correctly these units will be EOL in May 2021. I am looking for a newer model that is a MR16 equivalent to replace at some point, what models do you recommend?

-Datboi

6 Replies 6
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Actually, there is nothing comparable to the MR16 anymore. Without knowing anything about your environment, I would first look at the MR36 which is Wifi6, and probably supported for a very long time.

I appreciate the input Karstenl!

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

hi @datboi9101 , if you look at the EoL notice for the MR16 Meraki pitch the MR20 as the suitable equivalent

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/eol/meraki_eol_mr16.pdf

The MR20 is wave 2 and most certainly not wifi6 compatible but I guess the decision will come down to budget and requirements of the wireless network.

Whats the backend switching like as that'll be something to take into consideration also?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Hi UCcert,

I appreciate the input, I was able to locate the document on the website after I posted. These potential APs would uplink to 2960X with 10G uplinks to our 3850XS core.

MR16s seem to work okay for us for the most part. We have seen some weird issues like APs freezing and needing reboot and devices losing IP address but remaining connected to wifi. The MR36 model does look enticing with Wifi6, specially when end user devices catch up and are compatible with 802.11AX.

Try and go for an MR36 if you can.  It's is such a big jump over an MR20.

I would look at the use case for your existing MR16s and the current and likely future usage profile for the replacement APs.   Like others, I'd question the use of MR20, particularly for its lack of 3rd (scanning) WiFi radio.  It may be the closest in terms of capability to the MR16, but if you're using those APs for serving a modern carpeted office, with the usual for example, I'd actually use MR46 as my 'vanilla' starting point.   If this can't be justified, cost-wise, then MR36.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels