MR Firewall Logging

MerakiMed
Getting noticed

MR Firewall Logging

I'm trying to troubleshoot the reachability of some hosts on the wifi network. I noticed that someone had disallowed reaching the local LAN. Is there any means of seeing what traffic has been or is being denied by that AP firewall policy?

3 REPLIES 3
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

I can’t remember if denying access to the Local LAN is the default rule on a MR, it could well be. Anyway, the deny traffic to the Local LAN setting on the MR just denies all traffic to the private IP address ranges, so the 192.168.0.0/16, 172.16.0.0/12, and 10.0.0.0/8 blocks.

As for logging, there’s Syslog, but I don’t believe that actually tells you which rule is dropping traffic on the MR, although it may still assist.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hey @Bruce , with regards "I can’t remember if denying access to the Local LAN is the default rule on a MR, it could well be.". 

It is, thats the default setting.  Forever catching customers out with it wondering why they can't access resources on the local LAN.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Thanks @DarrenOC it’s been a few months since I’ve set up a new MR network and the process has become ‘automatic’ for me, so I couldn’t remember if that was the default or not 😀

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels