MR Cannot set static IP

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MR Cannot set static IP

I have an MR33 with firmware 27.5 and I for the life of me cannot get it to use a static IP. I habe set it in the dashboard and the device boots using DHCP, so then I tried using the local config page and it still boots using DHCP.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
CN
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Right off the bat without knowing more, I'm going to take a stab in the dark. One common mistake is that the VLAN tag is being set. If the native vlan of the switch port is the same vlan that you're wanting the AP to be on, then there is no need to set the vlan in the static IP. If you have it, then remove the vlan tag. If the native vlan is different than the vlan you want the AP to be on, then you'll need the vlan tag. 

If that doesn't fix, take a pcap of the wired interface of the AP. You should see it ARPing for the mac address of the default gateway that you have configured. If it's not getting a response, then it's going to use DHCP. It will continue ARPing to see if it becomes available. If it's getting a response from the gateway then it might be best to give Support a call to have them take a look. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To add to the brilliant response by @CN , Meraki devices only use their static config if they can communicate with the Meraki cloud using it.  Otherwise, they attempt to use DHCP.

So something about the static config does not allow the device to talk to the cloud.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@BlakeRichardsonany reason you need a static IP, legacy SIEM solution or similar?  I have changed most of our MRs and even quite a few of our MSs to DHCP as it seems to be much more reliable (and easier when I move one from one site to another) and I haven't found any reason to have them on a static IP.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels