MR Access Point Offline Testing

Solved
kevinsanjose
Comes here often

MR Access Point Offline Testing

Hi All,

I just wanted to verify if I did not connect the MR series to the Internet and just turned the power on, I can test it locally or offline as I want to test the range the AP can reach within the vicinity. I saw that it will broadcast a default SSID of meraki-scanning where I can test my requirements but when I boot it sometimes, the AP doesn't broadcast the said SSID and the light indicator is just blinking amber. Particular model that we're using is MR33. Please advise if there are other ways to test the AP like range without connecting it to the Internet. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Well you can connect to an ap that has no internet but it will not let you hardcode the tx power.
It will tell you the ap has never connected to the meraki cloud but you will be able to enable site survey mode.

You'll just have to wait until the ap realises it has no uplink and starts broadcasting a setup ssid.

Having the internet at first is more handy though, however I've had serveral issues with MR42 and MR52 models that just kinda freeze after turning to site survey mode and then just rebroadcast their setup ssid's claiming they never connected.. oopsie bug 😜  The MR33 however is quite stable.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You need to first connect the MR to the internet.

Then make a NAT SSID.

Then using NAT SSID connect to the local status page and put the AP in site survey mode.

The AP will reboot and broadcast site-survey:MACADDRESS

You can now do range testing.

Hello,

Thanks for the tip. What if I'm unable to connect it via the Internet? How can I access the AP locally to enable the site survey mode? Thank you.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Make a dedicated site survey ap in advanced and  bring it with you.  Or bring a 4g router. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Conducting_Site_Surveys_with_MR_A...

Well you can connect to an ap that has no internet but it will not let you hardcode the tx power.
It will tell you the ap has never connected to the meraki cloud but you will be able to enable site survey mode.

You'll just have to wait until the ap realises it has no uplink and starts broadcasting a setup ssid.

Having the internet at first is more handy though, however I've had serveral issues with MR42 and MR52 models that just kinda freeze after turning to site survey mode and then just rebroadcast their setup ssid's claiming they never connected.. oopsie bug 😜  The MR33 however is quite stable.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels