MR AP compatibility with MR42

Solved
atorres
Conversationalist

MR AP compatibility with MR42

I have MR42 APs which are EOL and their replacement is the MR44. We cannot get the MR44 for at least a year, so I am looking at the MR36 which is in stock. Can the MR36 and MR42 work together? This is for a small ~20 users office space. APs will be spread out through 2 floors.

Thank you!

AT

1 Accepted Solution
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Yes, pretty much any MR's can work together.  The only exceptions might be for fairly complex, special requirements and it does not sound like you have those.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Yes, pretty much any MR's can work together.  The only exceptions might be for fairly complex, special requirements and it does not sound like you have those.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
atorres
Conversationalist

No, not complex. 2 APs currently and extending with 2 more to floor below.

Thank you!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd go with the MR36.

The only issue you are likely to run into is with the firmware on clients.  The MR36 is WiFi6, while the MR42 is WiFi5.  Let's say you are a WiFi6 client.  The WiFi6 AP has a weaker signal (further away) than the WiFi5 AP, but you really want to stay connected using WiFi6 because you are also using WiFi6.

Some clients aren't as smart as others at choosing which AP to connect to.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@atorres I'm sure you know, but just to clarify, the MR42 is end of sale and not end of life.  The latest 28.6 firmware supports both it and the newer WiFi6 models.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels