MR 45-46 show offline on dashboard, But I can ping to that offline AP

SOLVED
longkps
Here to help

MR 45-46 show offline on dashboard, But I can ping to that offline AP

I got this msg from dashboard: This device may be unplugged or it was connected to a new device as of about 5 hours ago. And it look to be random happened to my AP. I have not change any config lately. It just happen 3-4 days already.

Please help, Did any one have the same problem?

My MR is up to date.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello LongKPS,

We had the same problems. it turned out to have nothing to do with (ip) settings or DNS and everything to do with an error in the firmware. We did a downgrade to version 27.7.1 and the problems are over. Additional advantage: the automatic channel planning works much better.

This was Meraki's response a few weeks ago:
"" As this is still currently a known issue due to the changes in the way Meraki devices communicate to the Meraki cloud from MR 28.x + firmware, We can implement a temporary workaround of rolling back the firmware of the APs to a previous version 27.7.1 until the issue on 28.x+ firmware is resolved by engineering.""

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HangerS
Conversationalist

I have noticed the same thing for two weeks now. APs randomly goes offline in Dashboard but they are working in real life. If I cycle the port they goes "online" again or if I wait a while they come back as online. They are working the hole time. Just dashboard showing them as offline.

Yes, you are right. It happened to me like that. Is it just a bug?

Thank you.

Holli69
Getting noticed

Yes, same to my MR44. Randomly some AP's goes offline on Dashboard and later they come online again.

well I open case to Meraki and they told me to change DNS to public.

They said: use public DNS for meraki management instead of private. 

I try and keep monitor on it.

This one not work, still have a problem.

HangerS
Conversationalist

Switched mine from Umbrella to Google dns yesterday and today (after all of them changed DNS) I have had zero downtime on them in dashboard.

AxL1971
Building a reputation

Happening to us as well, AP showing as down on the dashboard, suspect issue with the dashboard.

DarwinV
Conversationalist

Happening to one of our clients as well. As of this writing is been down for about 2 hours now. However, it's pingable using the Ping Tool of other AP devices. It is also pingable (using local IP)  from our monitoring system which is connected via S2S VPN.

We've been experiencing this since day 1. Our TAC recommended making our IP assignment to Static instead of DHCP (reserved IP). I will see if this works. 

what is the firmware version of the AP's?

MR28.6

DarwinV
Conversationalist

MR46 using Firmware version: 28.6.1

I set static IP for my AP, DNS set to public.

but everything not change.

Hello LongKPS,

We had the same problems. it turned out to have nothing to do with (ip) settings or DNS and everything to do with an error in the firmware. We did a downgrade to version 27.7.1 and the problems are over. Additional advantage: the automatic channel planning works much better.

This was Meraki's response a few weeks ago:
"" As this is still currently a known issue due to the changes in the way Meraki devices communicate to the Meraki cloud from MR 28.x + firmware, We can implement a temporary workaround of rolling back the firmware of the APs to a previous version 27.7.1 until the issue on 28.x+ firmware is resolved by engineering.""

Thank you

as i saw in dashboard  they have 28.6.1. not sure on the version it solve problem yet?

No do not use it. Its only for MR57 support

thank you I forget to check it 😁

Speedbird1
Getting noticed

We had the same yesterday across the globe UK,US, EU and APAC

Random AP's showing offline but still functioning. (Packet capture from switch port confirmed this)

Support confirmed a bug in 28.6.x firmware and if you leave them they will eventually re-establish communication with the dashboard. They did indeed re-connect a good few hours later.

JHern
Here to help

This is still an ongoing issue - See the thread on the subject at the URL below for all the details:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Wireless-LAN/MR46-MR55-WIFI-6-AP-s-disconnect-from-dashboard/m-p/149...

I'm running MR56 WAPs with 28.6.1 and they are unable to stay connected to the Meraki cloud for more than a few minutes a time. Going back to 27.7.1 is not a great option due to bugs fixed in 28 code.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels